Deducing Properties of M^2=I Given an nxn Matrix

• Thread starter Ultraworld
  • Start date
In summary: N has a non-zero eigenvalue.In summary, the conversation discusses a matrix M with complex coefficients that satisfies M^2 = I, but is not equal to I. It is deduced that the minimal polynomial of M is either x^2-1 or x+1, and this tells us all of the eigenvalues of M. It is also guaranteed that the equation Mx = -x has a non-trivial solution, as the dimension of the eigenspace is the same as the geometric multiplicity of -1. If -1 is not an eigenvalue of M, then all of its eigenvalues are 1 and M would be the identity matrix, which is not the case. The conversation also briefly mentions
Ultraworld
Given an n by n matrix M with complex coefficients such that M2 = I and M is not equal to I.

What can I deduce from it. e.g. what does it say about the eigenvalues?

edit: of course M -1 = M.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
M satisfies the polynomial x^2-1. M does not satisfy x-1. That tells you that the minimal poly is either x^2-1 or x+1. That tells you all of the eigenvalues.

So -1 is an eigenvalue of M.

However am I guaranteed that the equation M x = - x has a non-trivial solution?

EDIT: I think the answer is yes cause the dimension of the Eigenspace is the same as the geometric multiplicity of -1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenvalue (see definitions)

EDIT2: I am sure the answer is yes

Last edited:
If -1 is not an eigen value of M, then all its eigenvalues are 1, and it must satisfy x-1, so M would be the identity matrix, which we are told it is explicitly not.

By definition, if t is an eigenvalue of M, then there is an eigenvector with eigenvalue t.

thanks Matt. This was part of a bigger problem and that bigger one is now solved.

I can make my solution much easier.

Given a n by n matrix N with complex coefficients and det N != 0. Does N has a non-zero eigenvalue?

Last edited:
Yes. Obviously.

Any determinant has at least one eigenvalue (in the complex numbers) because every polynomial has at least one complex solution. Since the determinant is not 0, that eigenvalue is not 0, therefore ---

1. What is the definition of an nxn matrix?

An nxn matrix is a square matrix with n rows and n columns. It is represented as [aij], where i represents the row number and j represents the column number.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to have a property of M^2=I?

A matrix having the property of M^2=I means that when the matrix is multiplied by itself, the resulting matrix is equal to the identity matrix, denoted by I. In other words, M multiplied by M is equal to the identity matrix.

3. How can we deduce properties of M^2=I given an nxn matrix?

To deduce properties of M^2=I given an nxn matrix, we can use the properties of matrix multiplication and the fact that the identity matrix is a special type of matrix with specific properties. By manipulating the given matrix and using the properties of matrix multiplication, we can determine the properties of M^2=I.

4. What are some common properties of M^2=I that can be deduced from an nxn matrix?

Some common properties of M^2=I that can be deduced from an nxn matrix include the fact that the matrix is invertible, as M multiplied by itself results in the identity matrix. Additionally, the diagonal elements of the matrix must be either 1 or -1, and all the other elements must be 0.

5. How can knowing the properties of M^2=I be useful in mathematics and science?

Knowing the properties of M^2=I can be useful in various areas of mathematics and science, such as linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and computer science. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and perform transformations in computer graphics and image processing. Understanding this property can also aid in understanding the behavior and properties of physical systems.