Defibrillator and electric field lines

In summary, during fibrillation, there is little electric field at the electrodes because the heart is chaotic and multifaceted.
Kathi201
I am asked to draw a picture of a person 1 second before patient is defibrillated and 10 seconds after a patient is defibrillated. I am asked to draw a general picutre of the electric field lines and charges at these two points. I know that the goal of defibrillation is to enterfere with the reentry of circuits to bring the electric activity to a stop of to eliminate fibrillation. Does this mean that the amount of electric field lines after defibrillation is less than the amount of electrical activity before?

This question is somewhat confusing for me so any help or explanation would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you display the question exactly as it is written? Your post seems to be missing some information.

Sure...here is the question

A defibrillator is used to shock a heart back into action. Below, a picture of a person is shown with the approximate placement of defibrillator metal electrodes before shocking the patient. Draw a cross sectional view of the body (very simple sketch) and show the electric field lines and charges 1sec before the patient is defibrillated. Sketch the same cross section again and show the electric field lines and charges 10sec after (long time after) the patient has been defibrillated. Also describe your pictures in words.

I can not draw a person on here so I am just trying to figure out generally what the picture should look like but the problem is really confusing me.

Thanks for your help!

Well, I also think this is poorly worded problem. Her's my best shot at a helpful hint.

Before and after defibrillation, charges in the heart are the only electric sources present. During fibrillation, the heart lacks coherence so the source distribution is chaotic and multifaceted--there will be numerous positive and negative regions. You can draw the fields from these regions and show that they fall off rapidly with distance so there is very little to measure at the electrodes.

During normal heart activation, there is an orderly progression of activation (through, say, the ventricles). REsting muscle has a negative potential, activated muscle positive, and so you can draw the field lines as emanating from across the boundary. In fact, a useful approximation is to treat the heart sources at an instant in time as an equivalent electric dipole. You can draw dipolar fields in the body, in other words, as a reasonable approximation.

1. What is a defibrillator and how does it work?

A defibrillator is a medical device that delivers an electric shock to the heart in order to restore normal rhythm. It works by sending an electric current through the heart muscle, causing it to contract and restart the heart's natural rhythm.

2. How are electric field lines related to defibrillation?

Electric field lines are used to map out the strength and direction of the electric field produced by a defibrillator. This helps determine the optimal placement of the defibrillator pads on a patient's chest for effective delivery of the electric shock.

3. What is the difference between a monophasic and biphasic defibrillator?

A monophasic defibrillator delivers a single pulse of electric current, while a biphasic defibrillator delivers two pulses, one positive and one negative. Biphasic defibrillators are more commonly used as they require less energy and have been shown to be more effective in restoring normal heart rhythm.

4. Is it safe to use a defibrillator on someone with a pacemaker?

Yes, it is safe to use a defibrillator on someone with a pacemaker. The defibrillator pads should be placed at least 8 centimeters away from the pacemaker to avoid interference.

5. Can a defibrillator be used on a child or infant?

Yes, there are special pediatric defibrillator pads available for use on children and infants. These pads have a lower energy level to minimize the risk of injury to the child.