1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Define the mapping torus of a homeomorphism

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    Define the mapping torus of a homeomorphism [itex]\phi:X \rightarrow X[/itex] to be the identification space

[itex]T(\phi)= X \times I / \{ (x,0) \sim (\phi(x),1) | x \in X \}[/itex]

I have to identify [itex]T(\phi)[/itex] with a standard space and prove that it is homotopy equivalent to [itex]S^1[/itex] by constructing explicit maps [itex]f:S^1 \rightarrow T(\phi), g: T(\phi) \rightarrow S^1[/itex] and explicit homotopies [itex]gf \simeq 1:S^1 \rightarrow S^1, fg \simeq 1:T(\phi) \rightarrow T(\phi)[/itex] in the two cases:

(i) [itex]\phi(x)=x[/itex] for [itex]x \in X=I[/itex]
    (ii) [itex]\phi(x)=1-x[/itex] for [itex]x \in X=I[/itex]

i found that since [itex]X=I[/itex], we have a square of side 1 to consider:

in (i) we identify two opposite sides with one another, this gives us a cylinder.
    in (ii) we identify the point x with the point 1-x on the opposite side giving a kind of "twist" which i think leads to a Mobius strip.

first of all, are my answers above correct? it says to identify them with a standard space. is there some sort of notation i can use for cylinders and Mobius strips? e.g. i can call a circle [itex]S^1[/itex], is there something like [itex]C^1[/itex] for a cylinder?

then, how do i go about setting up the maps [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    Re: Homotopies

Your are correct: it's a cylinder and a Möbius strip; as far as I know, there isn't a specific abbreviation for these spaces, besides their names.

Regarding the maps f and g, consider the "central" fibre of [tex]T\left(\phi \right)[/tex]: (1/2,y), [tex]y \in \left[0,1\right][/tex]; this is, in both cases, a homeomorphic image of [tex]S^1[/tex]; now f and g are very simple maps, and you can "contract" [tex]T\left(\phi \right)[/tex] to the central fibre; this gives you the homotopy.
  4. Jan 18, 2010 #3
    Re: Homotopies

so [itex]g:T(\phi) \rightarrow S^1 ; (1/2,y) \mapsto ( \cos{ 2 \pi y}, \sin{ 2 \pi y } )[/itex] for [itex]y \in [0,1][/itex]. would that work? i don't understand how to contract down the x coordinate so that i can in fact only consider the central fibre as i have done above in ym function for g.

assuming that's ok, [itex]f:S^1 \rightarrow T(\phi) ; ( \cos{ 2 \pi y}, \sin{ 2 \pi y } ) \mapsto (1/2,y)[/itex] for [itex]y \in [0,1][/itex], yes?

pretty sure that's probably wrong but i can't see an alternative.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook