What is a Weight Process in Thermodynamics?

In summary, the author is proving the Work-Energy theorem in this section and using the equation F = m · a to show that the force F is constant when attached to the point mass in its final state. They also use the expression ||W| - Mg| / Mg << 1 to demonstrate that the work done in a weight process is equal to the change in kinetic energy.
Saladsamurai
Here we go again! :smile: I am taking a graduate thermodynamics course and I feel like I am in physics 1 all over again. The definitions that I took for granted early on in my education I am really wanting to make sure that I have a firm understanding of before I progress. I am reading from the thermodynamics text by Gyftopoulos and Baretta. I am reading the energy chapter and he is in the midst of defining a weight process. I think that I understand it for the most part, but I am getting hung up on some of the details (the devil is in the details!).

Here are the two paragraphs that I am currently reading:

Doc-6_25_103_45PM-page-1.png

Screenshot2010-06-25at42554PM.png

I believe he is just intuitively proving the Work Energy theorem, but I am getting a little lost. Why is the force F constant? I see that we have attached the pulley to the point mass in its final state where it has velocity, but are they calling that V1 or v2? I believe that they are calling it V1. That is, by using the term annulled, it appears that they are working backwards in a sense. They are using the weight to bring the point mass from its final state back to its initial.

I am also confused by the whole ||W| - Mg| / Mg << 1 thing. What is that all about now?

Sorry if these seem stupid, but I really need to talk this out with someone. I know from other students that this entire book takes a really different approach to thermodynamics, so I really want to stay on top of the definitions used early on.

Thanks!
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a great question, Casey! What the author is doing in this section is proving the Work-Energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This theorem is derived from the basic equation of motion, F = m · a, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The force F is considered constant because the pulley is attached to the point mass in its final state, where it has velocity v1. This allows us to use the equation W = F · ds, where W is the work done and ds is the displacement of the point mass, to calculate the work done on the point mass. The expression ||W| - Mg| / Mg << 1 is used to show that the work done in a weight process is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the point mass. In other words, if the work done is much less than the potential energy, then the change in kinetic energy is equal to the work done. I hope this helps clarify things for you!

FAQ: What is a Weight Process in Thermodynamics?

1. What is a weight process?

A weight process is a mathematical model used to describe the evolution of a system over time, where the system is affected by random fluctuations. It is often used in fields such as finance and physics to model the change in a variable over time.

2. How is a weight process defined?

A weight process is typically defined as a stochastic process, meaning it involves random variables or random events. It is usually described by a set of mathematical equations or formulas that represent the relationship between the variables and their evolution over time.

3. What are the key components of a weight process?

The key components of a weight process include the initial condition, the drift, and the volatility. The initial condition represents the starting point of the process, the drift is the average rate of change over time, and the volatility is the measure of randomness or uncertainty in the process.

4. How is a weight process different from a random walk?

A weight process differs from a random walk in that it takes into account the drift and volatility of a system, whereas a random walk assumes a constant rate of change. This means that a weight process is a more realistic and accurate model for systems that are affected by random fluctuations.

5. What are some real-world applications of weight processes?

Weight processes have many real-world applications, such as in finance to model stock prices, in physics to model the movement of particles in a fluid, and in biology to model the growth of a population. They are also used in engineering, economics, and other fields to study and predict the behavior of complex systems over time.

Back