1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defining a weight process

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    Here we go again! :smile: I am taking a graduate thermodynamics course and I feel like I am in physics 1 all over again. The definitions that I took for granted early on in my education I am really wanting to make sure that I have a firm understanding of before I progress. I am reading from the thermodynamics text by Gyftopoulos and Baretta. I am reading the energy chapter and he is in the midst of defining a weight process. I think that I understand it for the most part, but I am getting hung up on some of the details (the devil is in the details!).

Here are the two paragraphs that I am currently reading:

I believe he is just intuitively proving the Work Energy theorem, but I am getting a little lost. Why is the force F constant? I see that we have attached the pulley to the point mass in its final state where it has velocity, but are they calling that V1 or v2? I believe that they are calling it V1. That is, by using the term annulled, it appears that they are working backwards in a sense. They are using the weight to bring the point mass from its final state back to its initial.

I am also confused by the whole ||W| - Mg| / Mg << 1 thing. What is that all about now?

Sorry if these seem stupid, but I really need to talk this out with someone. I know from other students that this entire book takes a really different approach to thermodynamics, so I really want to stay on top of the definitions used early on.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted