Definite integral of functions of two variables

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
23 replies · 10K views
-EquinoX-
Messages
561
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A pile of Earth standing on flat ground near an abandoned mine has height 13 meters. The ground is the xy-plane; the origin is directly below the top of the pile and the z-axis is upward. The cross-section at height z is given by [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 13 - z[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq z \leq 13[/tex] with x, y, and z in meters.

(a) What equation gives the edge of the base of the pile?
(b) What is the area of the base of the pile?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I really don't know what it means by the edge of the base of the pile, I know that after we get to part a. then the area is just the integral right?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 'edge of the base of the pile' is the intersection of the pile with the x-y plane. I.e. z=0. The 'area' is the area enclosed by that curve. You can find the area by integrating, but it's a pretty simple curve. You may know a formula.
 
So the edge of the base pile is [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 13[/tex] and I just need to integrate this right.. do I integrate it over x and y? I never knew an integral rule with that formula.. I think.

If I do an integration with respect to x and y I have:

[tex](x^3/3 - 13x) + (y^3/3-13y)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
It's the area between the two functions y=+/-sqrt(13-x^2). But don't you recognize the shape of the curve?
 
You integrate 2*sqrt(13-x^2) if you want to. But I can think of easier ways to find the area of a circle.
 
and how is that? and where did you get the 2 * in front of the sqrt(...)
 
Because you have to integrate between y=-sqrt(13-x^2) and y=+sqrt(13-x^2). You don't know how to find the area of a circle?
 
Yes it is [tex]\pi r^2[/tex] and the radius is [tex]\sqrt(13)[/tex] right? How come when you do the integral way you don't get a pi anywhere??
 
-EquinoX- said:
Yes it is [tex]\pi r^2[/tex] and the radius is [tex]\sqrt(13)[/tex] right? How come when you do the integral way you don't get a pi anywhere??

You do get a pi. You have to do a trig subsitution to do the integral.
 
And so if there's another question:

What equation gives the cross-section of the pile with the plane z = 10?
The answer is x^2+y^2 = 3 and what is the area of this?
 
and I can just use the area of a circle with radius sqrt(3) as well here to make life easier?
 
Just clarifying, and what is A(z), the area of a horizontal cross-section at height z?

is it just z = - x^2 - y^2 - 13
 
-EquinoX- said:
Just clarifying, and what is A(z), the area of a horizontal cross-section at height z?

is it just z = - x^2 - y^2 - 13
1. This is not a function of z so it can't be the area function you want.

2. Since the formula for the cone is [itex]x^2+ y^2= 13- z[/itex], you want the equation
of the circular boundary at height z, not a equation for z. In fact, [itex]x^2+ y^3=13-z[/itex] is precisely what you want!
 
why is it z-13-z? where did you get the extra -z from? z-13-z is just 13 right?
 
if I take the integral of this area then the units would be meters^3? as it would be the volume
 
I tried A(z) = 13 - z and it didn't give me a green light, so it's wrong
 
-EquinoX- said:
I tried A(z) = 13 - z and it didn't give me a green light, so it's wrong

What happened to the pi?
 
-EquinoX- said:
I tried A(z) = 13 - z and it didn't give me a green light, so it's wrong
No one has said the area was 13- z. I said that the equation of the boundary would be [itex]x^2+ y^2= 13- z[/itex]. What figure is that? What is its area?