1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite integral of functions of two variables

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pile of earth standing on flat ground near an abandoned mine has height 13 meters. The ground is the xy-plane; the origin is directly below the top of the pile and the z-axis is upward. The cross-section at height z is given by [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 13 - z[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq z \leq 13[/tex] with x, y, and z in meters.

(a) What equation gives the edge of the base of the pile?
    (b) What is the area of the base of the pile?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know what it means by the edge of the base of the pile, I know that after we get to part a. then the area is just the integral right?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 'edge of the base of the pile' is the intersection of the pile with the x-y plane. I.e. z=0. The 'area' is the area enclosed by that curve. You can find the area by integrating, but it's a pretty simple curve. You may know a formula.

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    So the edge of the base pile is [tex]x^2 + y^2 = 13[/tex] and I just need to integrate this right.. do I integrate it over x and y? I never knew an integral rule with that formula.. I think.

If I do an integration with respect to x and y I have:

[tex] (x^3/3 - 13x) + (y^3/3-13y) [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the area between the two functions y=+/-sqrt(13-x^2). But don't you recognize the shape of the curve?

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5
    so I just integrate sqrt(13-x^2)

7. Feb 26, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You integrate 2*sqrt(13-x^2) if you want to. But I can think of easier ways to find the area of a circle.

8. Feb 26, 2009 #7
    and how is that? and where did you get the 2 * in front of the sqrt(.........)

9. Feb 26, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because you have to integrate between y=-sqrt(13-x^2) and y=+sqrt(13-x^2). You don't know how to find the area of a circle?

10. Feb 26, 2009 #9
    Yes it is [tex] \pi r^2 [/tex] and the radius is [tex] \sqrt(13) [/tex] right? How come when you do the integral way you don't get a pi anywhere??

11. Feb 26, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You do get a pi. You have to do a trig subsitution to do the integral.

12. Feb 26, 2009 #11
    so the area is just [tex] 13 \pi [/tex]

13. Feb 28, 2009 #12
    And so if there's another question:

What equation gives the cross-section of the pile with the plane z = 10?
    The answer is x^2+y^2 = 3 and what is the area of this?

14. Feb 28, 2009 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do it the same way as x^2+y^2=13.

15. Feb 28, 2009 #14
    and I can just use the area of a circle with radius sqrt(3) as well here to make life easier?

16. Feb 28, 2009 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you think not?

17. Feb 28, 2009 #16
    Just clarifying, and what is A(z), the area of a horizontal cross-section at height z?

is it just z = - x^2 - y^2 - 13

18. Feb 28, 2009 #17

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1. This is not a function of z so it can't be the area function you want.

2. Since the formula for the cone is [itex]x^2+ y^2= 13- z[/itex], you want the equation
    of the circular boundary at height z, not a equation for z. In fact, [itex]x^2+ y^3=13-z[/itex] is precisely what you want!

19. Feb 28, 2009 #18
    why is it z-13-z? where did you get the extra -z from? z-13-z is just 13 right?

20. Feb 28, 2009 #19

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That was a typo. I have edited it.

21. Feb 28, 2009 #20
    if I take the integral of this area then the units would be meters^3? as it would be the volume

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook