1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a complex matrix

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    MathWorld states that a complex matrix is "a matrix whose elements may contain complex numbers". My question is what the "may" means. Could a matrix be complex even if its elements does not contain any complex numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Real matrices are contained in the set of complex matrices. In that sense they are also complex. That's the only sense in which they are complex. A real matrix is, uh, real.

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    Thanks. I have a follow-up question if you don't mind: does this mean that an element in the [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]-vector space [tex]Herm_n(\mathbb{C})[/tex] (the set of all hermitian n x n-matrices) is also an element in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]^n?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  5. Sep 12, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean is the set of all hermitian matrices a subset of the set of all complex matrices, of course it is. Why do you need to ask?

6. Sep 12, 2008 #5
    Because I'm trying to solve a problem in which there is an expression [tex]AB[/tex], where [tex]A[/tex] is a [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]-linear map [tex]A:\mathbb{C}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{C}^n[/tex] and [tex]B \in \msbox{Herm_n}(\mathbb{C})[/tex]. If [tex]B[/tex] doesn't also lie in [tex]\mathbb{C}^n[/tex], I can't make sense of the expression.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  7. Sep 12, 2008 #6
    Adding to my confusion was this statement on Wikipedia:

8. Sep 12, 2008 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's wrong with reading it as simply being the product of linear operators?

9. Sep 12, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We have agreed Herm_n(C) does lie in the set nxn complex matrices, right? It's not a vector space over C because if you multiply a hermitian matrix by i it's no longer hermitian. But I don't see why that needs to concern you.

10. Sep 14, 2008 #9
    Yes.

Very helpful! Thanks.

I've actually solved the problem, and you're right, it was unnecessary for me to be concerned by it.

Thanks again for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?