Definition of electric potential in case of negative charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of potential and potential energy in relation to electric charges. It is explained that the potential (V) depends only on position and is the same for positive and negative charges. The direction of the electric field is also discussed, with the conclusion that for a positive charge, the electric field goes outwards, while for a negative charge, it goes inwards. The concept of electric potential is then introduced and it is explained that it is the work done when moving a charge from one point to another. It is noted that the minus sign in the potential equation is due to the fact that more work is required to bring a charge towards a positive charge. The conversation also addresses two specific cases: when the charge is
eliotsbowe
Hello, I just read on "Integrated electronics" by Millman the following definition:

"The potential V (volts) of points B with respect to point A is the work done against the field in taking a unit positive charge from A to B.

For a one-dimensional problem with A at [itex]x_0[/itex] and B at an arbitrary distance x, it follows that:

[tex]V = - \int_{x_0}^{x} E dx [/tex]

where E represents the X component of the field.

Differentiating the above equation we have: [tex]E = - \frac{dV}{dx}[/tex]

The minus sign shows that the electric field is directed from the region of higher potential to the region of lower potential."

I'm wondering if the above concepts (like the one regarding the direction of the electric field) hold in the following cases:
- the charge taken from A to B is an electron;
- the charge is an electron, plus A is grounded and B has a negative voltage;

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential (V) depends only on position, and is the same regardless of whether the charge at that position is positive or negative, or indeed whether there is an actual charge there at all.

The potential energy (PE) of a charge located at a certain position depends on whether the charge is positive or negative, because PE = qV and you have to take into account the signs of both q and V.

Let's start with Coulomb's law:

[tex]\overrightarrow{F} = k_\mathrm{e} \frac{q_1q_2}{r^2} \overrightarrow{r}[/tex]

We know that if the two charges have same sign they reppel each other because the force becomes positive. This happens because the vector r is a vector that has the direction of the line that connects the two charges, of course, but it also goes outward of the charge that you are not measuring the force on. If we want to know the force on Q then the vector goes in the direction that goes outwards of q.

Q+ q+
. - - - - .---->F and r

Look, F (force acting on q) and r (vector that connects Q and q and goes outward of Q).

Let's assume a positive test charge q. Then we can deduce the electric field:

[tex]\mathbf{E}=\lim_{q \to 0}\frac{\mathbf{F}}{q}[/tex]

We take the limit because if we insert any charge in the system of charges it will make they move and the force on test charge will change too.

[tex]\mathbf{E}= k_{e}{Q \over r^2}\mathbf{\hat{r}}[/tex]

Now we know that if our initial charge Q is positive the electric field due to this charge in every point goes in the direction that outwards the charge. Thus if we have a positive charge the electric field due to it is always going outwards of the charge (and if the charge is negative the electric field goes in it). So here is the answer to your first question:

The electric field of negative charges goes inwards the charge.

Now the electric potential is the work done when moving a charge from A to B.

[tex]V = - \int_{P1}^{P2} E dx[/tex]

So about the minus sign think: what should spend more energy (assuming we have two charges q+ and Q+): bringing q towards Q or taking q backwards Q? Of course the answer is: bringing q towards Q, because if we do that we are trying to go in the opposite direction of Q's electric field (so in this case the work done must be positive). That's the reason of the minus sign in the potential's formula.

So if the charge that we are bringing to Q is an electron we take negative work. We take positive work only if we try to pull the electron away from the Q charge (which is positive). That's the answer to your second question.

Now suppose we have two points: A grounded (0 potential) and B (negative potential). We already know that positive charges tends to go from higher potentials to low potentials (and negative charges from low potentials to higher potentials). The electron, thus, will go from B to A because the potential in B is lower than the potential in A.

Am I right?

I hope it helps you...

Rafael Andreatta

Taturana said:
(...)
Thank you, I really appreciated your explanation! There's just one thing I can't get yet: the Millman's book introduces the concept of a potential-energy barrier by an example where A (grounded) and B (negative potential) are two parallel plates and an electron moves from A to B. I got the main concept.. but can an electron move from A to B? How is that possible?

Here's the configuration:
[PLAIN]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7316/picture9mr.png

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
eliotsbowe said:
Thank you, I really appreciated your explanation! There's just one thing I can't get yet: the Millman's book introduces the concept of a potential-energy barrier by an example where A (grounded) and B (negative potential) are two parallel plates and an electron moves from A to B. I got the main concept.. but can an electron move from A to B? How is that possible?

Thank you.

Sorry, I have never seem this concept before... I will let some other person help you this time...

1. What is electric potential in the case of negative charges?

Electric potential in the case of negative charges is the measure of the potential energy that is associated with the movement of negative charges in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of negative charge from one point to another in the electric field.

2. How is electric potential different for negative charges compared to positive charges?

Electric potential for negative charges is the opposite of electric potential for positive charges. In the case of negative charges, the electric potential decreases as the distance from the source of the electric field increases. This is because the negative charges are attracted to the positive charges, so they have a lower potential energy at farther distances.

3. What is the unit of electric potential for negative charges?

The unit of electric potential for negative charges is volts (V). This is the same unit as for positive charges. It represents the amount of potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in the electric field.

4. How does the electric potential change around a negatively charged object?

The electric potential around a negatively charged object decreases as the distance from the object increases. This is because the negative charges repel each other and are attracted to the positive charges in the surrounding area. The closer you are to the negatively charged object, the stronger the repulsion and the higher the electric potential.

5. Can the electric potential of negative charges be measured?

Yes, the electric potential of negative charges can be measured using a voltmeter. A voltmeter is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field. By measuring the potential difference, the electric potential at a specific point can be calculated.