Definition of Limit: Why Choose |f(x)-L| < ε?

  • Thread starter Thread starter doubleaxel195
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Definition Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
doubleaxel195
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
This isn't really a homework problem, but I was wondering why in the precise definition of a limit do we choose to make [tex]|f(x)-L| < ε[/tex] and not less than or equal to ε? I was just wondering. I asked my professor, he said he'd think about it, but he never got back to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Technically you could define it as ≤ ε, but it would be less natural. With the delta-epsilon definition, you define a range of values for x within a certain window (δ). For the given function, this defines a window around a range of y values (ε). If you change it to ≤ ε, you include the window as part of the range. It is more intuitive if the range of values is within a given window or < ε.