Definition of "Spatial X Direction" in Spacetime Context

In summary: What do you mean by "common direction" here? Because, as you note, they point in different 4d directions. I think what you want to say is that all of them will agree that their rotation axes are pointing in the same spatial direction, but you can't do that without defining space first.The point is that what I call the ##x-t## plane is also what you call the ##x'-t'## plane, although we use different pairs of vectors to define it. Thus if your gyroscope's axis lies in the ##x'## direction then its projection perpendicular
PeterDonis said:
The points in the diagram, since it's strictly speaking a diagram of the tangent space, represent vectors, not events; the vector represented by a given point is, heuristically, the arrow from the origin to that point, which gives a magnitude and a direction.
ok so, technically, we get the set of 'events spacelike separated from event A in spatial ##x## direction in a neighborhood of A' by means of the exponential map of those spacelike vectors lying in that 2-plane (the 2-plane that each gyroscope's spatial axis in the class pointing in ##x## spatial direction picks/selects in the 4D tangent space at event A).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cianfa72 said:
we get the set of 'events spacelike separated from event A in spatial ##x## direction in a neighborhood of A' by means of the exponential map of those spacelike vectors lying in that 2-plane
Yes.

cianfa72 said:
Summary:: Clarification about the definition of 'spatial x direction' in the context of flat or curved spacetime.

Hi,
although there is a lot of discussion here in PF, I'd like to ask for a clarification about the definition of 'spatial x direction' in the context of flat or curved spacetime.

Consider a set of free-falling gyroscopes (zero proper acceleration) passing through an event A with different relative velocities. Suppose that at event A all of them have their axes aligned in the same common direction.

I believe that set of gyroscopes -- having their axes aligned in that same common direction-- actually defines the notion of 'spatial x direction'.

The difference between each of them is that the axes of each gyroscope defines a different spacelike direction through spacetime since each gyroscope is actually at rest in different inertial frames at event A.

Does it make sense ? Thanks

This response is a bit rushed, I'll try and get back to it and read the whole thread. But here are my initial thoughts.

Gyroscopes Fermi-walker transport vectors, but since you have specified the gyroscopes are in free fall, Fermi-Walker transport is equivalent to parallel transport. So your gyroscopes are parallel transporting vectors.

You will have the issue that parallel transporting a vector around a loop in curved space-time will generally result in rotating the vector being transported, in this case by your gyroscope. Another way of saying this - if you transport a vector along two different paths, the results will not necessarily be the same in curved space-timer.

At the particular event in question, you already have the notion of a tangent vector pointing in the same direction. Vectors can be transported from one point to another via a connection. GR uses the Levi-Civita connection. But in curved spacetime you'll in general have the issue that I mentioned, that transporting a vector along two different paths won't necessarily have the same result.

pervect said:
Gyroscopes Fermi-walker transport vectors, but since you have specified the gyroscopes are in free fall, Fermi-Walker transport is equivalent to parallel transport. So your gyroscopes are parallel transporting vectors.
Yes definitely. The topic of the thread was about the representation of gyroscope axis in spacetime.

cianfa72 said:
Yes definitely. The topic of the thread was about the representation of gyroscope axis in spacetime.

Since you have specified a geodesic path, your approach will give a notion of "the same direction" in the region around a point where the geodesics do not cross, but in general this region won't cover all of space-time.

The region where geodesics don't cross is called the "geodesically convex region" or sometimes just the "convex region", see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic_convexity. I don't know a lot about it really, but I do know the name :).

Orbits in the Schwarzschild space-time are geodesics, so any region of space-time large enough for two orbits to cross is not convex. For instance an "orbit" going radially outwards and falling back in will cross a circular orbit.

Fermi normal coordinates use a similar construction, and share the property that they only cover a subset of the manifold.

Likes vanhees71