1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection of a Beam using Double Integration

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Need to determine the maximum deflection of the beam, by using double integration, and EI is constant.

Tried to draw this the best I could. It is a simply supported beam, with a concentrated couples of equal value (C) but opposite direction, with a distance between of (a).

2. Relevant equations

I pretty sure that my boundary conditions are: v=0 @ x=0 and v=0 @ x=3a

and my max. deflection will occur at x=(3/2)a

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem is that I don't know how to get started, all the examples show only one concentrated moment. I'm assuming I have no reactions, because when I sum the moments around either side, the moments cancel out.

I have tried using that M=C(x-a) and that didn't come out correct. So basically I'm looking for help in trying to get the moment function.

I have also tried M=C where I get the following

slope as a function of x = Cx/EI + C1
    deflection as a function of x = Cx^2/2EI + C1x + C2

boundary conditions:
    v=0 @ x=0 so C2 = 0
    v=0 @ x=3a so C1 = (-3(C)(a))/(2EI)

so then I come up with an answer of (-9(C)(a^2))/(8EI) for the max deflection using x=(3/2)a
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, it's been way too long since I used the double integration method, but it does bring back some haunting memories. If you're looking at y" =M(x)/EI, my suggestion would be to calcualte M(x) using shear and moment diagrams. Looks to me like you've got no shear at all anywher along the beam, and just a constant moment of c in between the two applied couples, and no moment on either side of those couples to the support points.
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    PhantomJay, that is correct. I'm just not sure how to come up with M(x). I have tried several things for it but still can't get the answer they give for Max Deflection. Which I know to be (5(C)(a^2))/(8EI).
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, M(x) =0 between 0 and a; M(x) = C between a and 2a; and M(x) = 0 between 2a and 3a. Now double integrate and use proper boundary conditions , which is probably what you're trying to do. I think the key is to deternine the boundary conditons. I've been relying on tables and charts, so my calculus is a bit rusty at this point.
  6. Oct 18, 2009 #5
    What a coincidence, I found this post: Beam deflection by double integration method. It is exactly the same problem as this one.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?