Degeneracy in quantum statistics

In summary: In statistical physics, degeneracy refers to the deviations of a many-body system in thermal equilibrium from the classical statistics. The classical statistics holds, if the occupation per state is small compared to 1. If you have large occupation numbers per state, the Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein statistics must be used instead of the Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics of classical statistics.
arneet
degeneracy,this word appears in my textbook many times,but i could not understand what it means in quantum statistics.also in my textbook it is said in bose-einstein statistics that " the deviation from perfect gas behaviour exhibited by bose-einstein gas is called gas degeneracy".but i can't understand it how degeneracy is related to deviation from ideal behaviour of gas.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the amount of times one particular state is satisfied.

It's actually easier to use the standard quantum physics example, so I'll use that:

Imagine a situation where some amount of energy is described by

##E = k(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2)##

where nx, ny, nz are positive integers.

For different values of each n, you can sometimes get the same E value.

For example, for nx=1, ny=1, nz=1 , we have E=3k

Now try some others:

nx=1, ny=1, nz=2 ... E=6k
nx=1, ny=2, nz=1 ... E=6k
nx=2, ny=1, nz=1 ... E=6k

This clearly shows that there are three totally different situations which give the same result for E.

This is the degeneracy. The E=6k level has a degeneracy of 3.

The same can be applied to any statistical system.

The degeneracy of any particular state is essentially the number of different ways that same state can be achieved.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Just seen you ask about how it relates to Bose-Einstein statistics and 'gas degeneracy'. I'm not sure of that one, to be honest!

Likes arneet
That's degeneracy of eigenvalues in linear algebra (or quantum mechanics which is applied linear algebra on the separable Hilbert space).

In statistical physics degeneracy refers to the deviations of a many-body system in thermal equilibrium from the classical statistics. The classical statistics holds, if the occupation per state is small compared to 1. If you have large occupation numbers per state, the Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein statistics must be used instead of the Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics of classical statistics.

Likes arneet
sa1988 said:
It's the amount of times one particular state is satisfied.

It's actually easier to use the standard quantum physics example, so I'll use that:

Imagine a situation where some amount of energy is described by

##E = k(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2)##

where nx, ny, nz are positive integers.

For different values of each n, you can sometimes get the same E value.

For example, for nx=1, ny=1, nz=1 , we have E=3k

Now try some others:

nx=1, ny=1, nz=2 ... E=6k
nx=1, ny=2, nz=1 ... E=6k
nx=2, ny=1, nz=1 ... E=6k

This clearly shows that there are three totally different situations which give the same result for E.

This is the degeneracy. The E=6k level has a degeneracy of 3.

The same can be applied to any statistical system.

The degeneracy of any particular state is essentially the number of different ways that same state can be achieved.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Just seen you ask about how it relates to Bose-Einstein statistics and 'gas degeneracy'. I'm not sure of that one, to be honest!
thank you,it was helpful.

vanhees71 said:
That's degeneracy of eigenvalues in linear algebra (or quantum mechanics which is applied linear algebra on the separable Hilbert space).

In statistical physics degeneracy refers to the deviations of a many-body system in thermal equilibrium from the classical statistics. The classical statistics holds, if the occupation per state is small compared to 1. If you have large occupation numbers per state, the Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein statistics must be used instead of the Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics of classical statistics.
sir,it was helpful.thank you.it would be great if you can explain a bit more about degeneracy particularly in statistical physics.

What is degeneracy in quantum statistics?

Degeneracy in quantum statistics refers to the phenomenon where multiple quantum states have the same energy. This means that these states are indistinguishable and have equal probabilities of being occupied.

Why is degeneracy important in quantum statistics?

Degeneracy plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles in quantum systems. It affects the calculation of thermodynamic properties, such as entropy, and can also lead to the phenomenon of Bose-Einstein condensation.

What causes degeneracy in quantum statistics?

Degeneracy can be caused by various factors, such as symmetries in the system, identical particles, or the presence of external fields. In some cases, degeneracy may also be a result of approximations made in the mathematical models used to describe the system.

How is degeneracy calculated in quantum statistics?

Degeneracy is typically calculated by determining the number of distinct quantum states that have the same energy. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as counting methods or group theory.

What are the implications of degeneracy for real-world applications?

Degeneracy has implications in various fields, including condensed matter physics, quantum chemistry, and astrophysics. It can affect the behavior of materials and particles, and plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as lasers and superconductors.