Degree of coherence of light from a red semiconductor laser

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
htg
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
I would like to have at least a vague idea how coherent is light from an inexpensive 1 mW red semiconductor laser which I have.
I tried to find the manufacturer using Google, but I haven't found it.
I would like to know the coherence length and the degree of spatial coherence.
Is there anyone who may give me some information?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You missed the point. My point was that even minor variations in the model can give you coherence lengths which vary over 5 orders of magnitude.

There is simply no way that someone on an internet forum can answer your question. You either need to measure it yourself, or get the specifications from the manufacturer.
 
DaleSpam said:
You missed the point. My point was that even minor variations in the model can give you coherence lengths which vary over 5 orders of magnitude.

There is simply no way that someone on an internet forum can answer your question. You either need to measure it yourself, or get the specifications from the manufacturer.

I think if they call it a laser diode, there should be decent lower limit of coherence length (which should be >> λ ) and there should be significant degree of spatial coherence.

Do you have a suggestion how I can measure spatial coherence and coherence length?
 
Last edited:
htg said:
<snip>
Do you have a suggestion how I can measure spatial coherence and coherence length?

Spatial coherence is usually measured by a Young interferometer, letting the slit spacing vary. Coherence length can be measured with a Michaelson interferometer, letting one arm change in length. The variation of fringe visibility is a measure of the coherence properties.

One way to infer the coherence length is to measure the spectral bandwidth of the output, and IIRC you can infer the coherence area by measuring the size of a single 'speckle'. Finally, both can usually be calculated from manufacturer's specifications: the output spectral FWHM, the beam diameter at the output face, and the beam divergence.