1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degrees of freedom affect on heat capacity ratio

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Why would vibrational and rotational degrees of freedom affect the heat capacity ratio more for N2 and CO2 than He or Ar? Would this occur at room temperatures?

2. Relevant equations

d.o.f.: 3N
    vibrational d.o.f., linear molecule: 3N - 5
    nonlinear: 3N - 6

3. The attempt at a solution

My book says that the vibrational d.o.f. will be more active for heavier molecules. Why is this? Does this mean there would be a larger change from the expected heat capacity ratio as predicted by the equipartition theorem? I don't understand whether it would negatively or positively affect it, or why. Also, I thought it was only an issue for REALLY high temperatures, not room temperature. A little clarification would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Helium and argon are monatomic. They do not have vibrational or rotational degrees of freedom. All they can do when you add energy to them is move faster, i.e. partition the energy among the three translational degrees of freedom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook