Vibrational energy at low temperatures

• Thread starter Cisneros778
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the concept of degrees of freedom in vibrations is dependent on temperature. At high temperatures, vibrations can be considered as degrees of freedom, while at lower temperatures, they are omitted due to quantization of energy levels. This is because at lower temperatures, the energy levels are too close together and the atoms can only transition between them instead of vibrating.
Cisneros778

Homework Statement

I would like to get a better picture of the degree of freedom of vibration.

Predicting the value of heat capacity for water vapor turns out to be 6R, but the experimental value is 3.038R
In my notes it then says, "contributions to the heat capacity can be considered classically only if En~hv<< kT... Energy levels with En>=kT contribute little, if at all, to the heat capacity." So only at very high temperatures can we consider vibrations as degrees of freedom. At lower temperatures, the vibrational degrees of freedom are omitted.

Homework Equations

3 atoms,
Translational = 3 x 1/2kT = 3/2kT
Rotational = 3 x 1/2kT= 3/2kT
Vibrational = 0
No potential relation, ideal gas scenario. So the sum off energies equal 3kT=3R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm considering now, to simplify my analysis, two bonded atoms. When given heat, they will not be excited until at very high temperatures... But I think they are still interacting amongst each other since they are bonded. So is it because they are at an equilibrium distance that they do not feel each other's force and do not vibrate as much?
I hope I am not being too confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, but the energy levels of the system are quantized! So if, say, the difference between two energy levels is E ~*kT, then the atoms cannot really "vibrate" in a classical sense: they can just transition to the first excited state and back again. If you want to consider classical vibration, then you must have kT >> E, so that there is enough energy to excite the system high enough that quantum effects are no longer important.

1. What is vibrational energy?

Vibrational energy is the energy associated with the motion of atoms or molecules in a substance. It is a form of potential energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or light.

2. How does temperature affect vibrational energy?

At low temperatures, the atoms or molecules in a substance have less thermal energy and therefore vibrate at a slower rate. As the temperature increases, the vibrational energy also increases, causing the atoms or molecules to vibrate at a higher frequency.

3. What is the relationship between vibrational energy and temperature?

The relationship between vibrational energy and temperature is directly proportional. As the temperature increases, the vibrational energy also increases. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles, and as the particles vibrate faster, they have more kinetic energy.

4. How is vibrational energy measured at low temperatures?

Vibrational energy at low temperatures can be measured using techniques such as Raman spectroscopy or infrared spectroscopy. These methods use light to excite the molecules and measure the vibrations, allowing scientists to determine the amount of energy present.

5. What is the significance of studying vibrational energy at low temperatures?

Studying vibrational energy at low temperatures is important for understanding the behavior of materials at extreme conditions, such as in space or in cryogenic applications. It also helps scientists understand the fundamental properties of molecules and how they interact with each other. Additionally, it has practical applications in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and engineering.