Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degrees of freedom

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    What are the number of degrees of freedom of
    1)a square sheet moving in XY plane
    2)a triangular lamina moving freely in XY plane

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

mfb

Insights Author
    2015 Award

Staff: Mentor

This looks like homework: What did you find out so far?

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    A square is composed of many particles with the constraint that distance between every particle is the fixed.so such a square is moving in XY plane.

if i consider two particles they have 4-1 =3degree of freedom(one is subtracted due to constraint that distance between particles are fixed).if i consider third particle it is defined by two co-ordinates and two constraints and therefore no degree of freedom.....the same for fourth fifth and so on.....

so my answer is three

and i dont find any difference in this respect with a triangular lamina......

I do not know the answer to the question.......please comment on this and say if you have any other opinion.

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4

mfb

Insights Author
    2015 Award

Those 3 degrees of freedom just fix the current position of the square. What about its movement?

6. Feb 10, 2013 #5
    if i get generalized co-ordinates i can calculate co-ordinate velocities from it

7. Feb 10, 2013 #6

mfb

Insights Author
    2015 Award

Is that related to the original question?
    What do you mean with "get"?

8. Feb 10, 2013 #7
    The question does not ask that .But i told a general principle.For example a simple pendulum which is oscillating in a plane.since its moving along the arc of a circle(distance from orgin is fixed) it has only one degree of freedom....theta.....which is the angle dat the string makes with vertical.......so if i know theta as a function of time.....i can differentiate "theta" to find generalised co-ordinate velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?