Delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating a two phase setup with a square wave at multi-gigahertz frequency. The main concern is how to configure the circuit to ensure the second wave starts at 90 degrees after the first one. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using a phase shifter and the feasibility of phase-shifting a square wave at such high frequencies. Other suggestions include using a PLL, generating square Sin and Cos waves, and using a delay line. The conversation also touches on the use of microwave balanced mixer chips and the cost of waveguides. The conversation ends with a discussion on the design and feasibility of the project and the use of a 3dB directional coupler for splitting signals.
CCatalyst said:
By the way, how do I POWER RF systems? Is there anything that con hold a battery and use it to run an RF system? And is it adjustable?
Please take no offense but do you really understand what you are trying to do?

It's like asking "how do I drink a beer bottle" "do I hold it upside down and let the liquid flow into my mouth, can I adjust the flow of beer? "

I would really suggest explaining what you are doing fully and what you aim to do, that is the only way you will get a meaningful answer and maybe even learn something. In case you think you have a novel idea and are reluctant to share , I would suggest that cannot be the case given you ask such basic questions that show your lack of understanding in the field.

Engineering news on Phys.org
CCatalyst said:
It no longer has to be a square wave.
As I understand it, you want a quadrature shifted wave so you can make a circulating field in a cavity at a frequency greater than 4 GHz.

You originally considered crossed coils with "iron" to make stronger fields, and RC phase shifters, but have now switched to capacitor plates with delay lines. Now you are suggesting a 1.6 GHz antenna will be operated at above 4 GHz.

It now looks like you need a cavity in a waveguide system that will support a circularly polarised wave. Then you can dispose of the quadrature shifter and the associated antenna losses. There can be little point in this thread if you will not identify what will go in the cavity and why that something will magically behave differently.

You have still not specified the power required to drive the magic.

Baluncore said:
You have still not specified the power required to drive the magic.
That's only one of the things that have not actually been addressed by the OP. I think he has no idea of what he's actually proposing.

I foresee a cardboard box in the OP's shed / basement, full of (expensive) microwave bits that have never actually been connected up. This is not the way to approach a serious research project but suppliers are always happy to sell experimenters stuff that won't be of any use to them.

sophiecentaur said:
I foresee a cardboard box in the OP's shed / basement, full of (expensive) microwave bits that have never actually been connected up.
I really don't think this confirmation of the Dunning-Kruger effect will get as far as the cardboard box. Secrecy is essential in that it prevents a final design, so no experiment is possible. Any attempt to actually experiment will rapidly demonstrate failure, and so destroy the delusion. It must forever remain a dream.

CCatalyst said:
Also I am going to use the 1.575GHz patch-type antenna for this.
You do know what that band is used for, right? What do you think will happen when you start throwing out sloppy versions of your signal in that band?

This thread has gone on long enough. We don't support newbies trying to design GHz transmitting circuits for secret applications. Thread is closed.

1631883932198.png

https://aerospace.csis.org/what-the-fcc-ligado-approval-means-for-u-s-military-systems/

<h2>1. What is the purpose of delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter?</h2><p>The purpose of delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter is to control the timing and synchronization of the output waveform. This can help improve the efficiency and stability of the inverter, as well as reduce any potential interference or distortion in the output signal.</p><h2>2. How does delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter affect its performance?</h2><p>Delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter can affect its performance in a few ways. It can help improve the accuracy and consistency of the output waveform, reduce any unwanted harmonics or noise, and optimize the efficiency of the inverter.</p><h2>3. What are the common methods for delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter?</h2><p>There are a few common methods for delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter. These include using a delay circuit or timer, adjusting the phase of the input signal, or using a microcontroller to control the timing and synchronization of the inverter.</p><h2>4. Are there any drawbacks to delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter?</h2><p>While delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter can have many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. These include increased complexity and cost, as well as the potential for increased power loss or reduced efficiency in the inverter.</p><h2>5. Can delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter be used in all applications?</h2><p>Delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter may not be suitable for all applications. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of the application before implementing this technique. Additionally, some inverter designs may not allow for easy delay or phase adjustment.</p>

1. What is the purpose of delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter?

The purpose of delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter is to control the timing and synchronization of the output waveform. This can help improve the efficiency and stability of the inverter, as well as reduce any potential interference or distortion in the output signal.

2. How does delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter affect its performance?

Delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter can affect its performance in a few ways. It can help improve the accuracy and consistency of the output waveform, reduce any unwanted harmonics or noise, and optimize the efficiency of the inverter.

3. What are the common methods for delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter?

There are a few common methods for delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter. These include using a delay circuit or timer, adjusting the phase of the input signal, or using a microcontroller to control the timing and synchronization of the inverter.

4. Are there any drawbacks to delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter?

While delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter can have many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. These include increased complexity and cost, as well as the potential for increased power loss or reduced efficiency in the inverter.

5. Can delaying/shifting the start of a square wave inverter be used in all applications?

Delaying or shifting the start of a square wave inverter may not be suitable for all applications. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of the application before implementing this technique. Additionally, some inverter designs may not allow for easy delay or phase adjustment.