1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dense subset and extension of uniformly continuous function

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    Let ##(X,d)## be a metric space, ##D \subset X## a dense subset, and ##f: D→ℝ## a uniformly continuous function. Prove that f has a unique extension to all ##X##.

3. The attempt at a solution.

I have some ideas but not the complete proof. If ##x \in D##, then I define ##f'(x)=f(x)##, so let ##x \in X \setminus D##. ##D## is a dense subset, so there exists ##(x_n)_{n≥1}## ##\subset D## such that ##x_n→x##. I define ##f'(x)=\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} {x_n}##. Observe that this limit makes sense since ##(f(x_n)_n≥1## is a Cauchy sequence (to prove this one has to use the fact that f is uniformly continuous) in ##ℝ##. ##ℝ## is complete, so the sequence is convergent. Then I should check that ##f'## is well defined, in other words, if there are two different sequences ##(x_n)_{n≥1}## and ##(y_n)_{n≥1}##in ##D## converging to a point ##x##, then it must be ##\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} {x_n}##=##\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} {y_n}## (this is easy to prove). Now I want to prove that f' is uniformly continuous, this means that for every ##ε>0## ##\exists δ_ε>0##:
    ##d(x,y)<δ_ε## implies ##|f'(x)-f'(y)|<ε##. Here I got totally stuck. This is an exercise belonging to the topic of compact metric spaces so I suppose I have to use something about compact spaces, the problem is that ##ℝ## is not compact, so I don't know where should I use some information about compactness.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You passed over the key point of existence, which is that for f' to be well-defined, you need
    [tex] \lim_{n\to \infty} f(x_n) = \lim_{n\to \infty} f(y_n) [/tex].

And I don't understand what this has to do with compact metric spaces, the uniform continuity of f' will come from f regardless of what kind of space X is.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    After you have attended to OfficeShredders point you can think about this:

A function can be uniformly continuous on all of R -- consider for example f(x) = x. So you don't need to worry about compactness. But you do need to focus on what uniformly continuous means.

With ordinary continuity people say : for every ##\epsilon ## you can find a ##\delta ## blah, blah. A lot of fuss is made about the fact that the ##\delta## depends on ##\epsilon##. What no one EVER says, is that ##\delta## also depends on x. So if you look at a function like f(x) = 1/x on (0,1), it is continuous there, but ##\delta## gets smaller and smaller as you approach zero -- that is, it depends on x.

Uniform continuity means that the ##\delta## does NOT depend on x. That's it. 1/x will never qualify on (0,1).

Now take your extension and compare it to what you know about the original function.

By the way, I wish you had called the extension something other than ##f' \text{ like } f^+\text{ or} f_{ext}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted