Density of Saturated Vapor R-134a

In summary: In summation, the program is off by less than 0.5% on the published data for liquid density, liquid volume, and saturated pressure for R-134a.
Nugget_Mon
Hi all,

Just for fun I am writing a program in Octave for calculating the thermodynamic properties of R-134a. I am using the equations in the Dupont properties booklet.
http://www2.dupont.com/Refrigerants/en_US/products/Suva/Suva134a.html

My functions for calculating the liquid density, liquid volume(of course), and the saturated pressure are less than 0.5% off of the published data.
My question is what am I missing to calculate the saturated vapor properties?

Thank You,
MON

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can find the saturated properties of "regular" R134a here: http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/, but I'm not sure what the difference is between standard R134a and the dupont one, which seems to be made to function more effectively as a replacement in R12 systems.

Right, I have that link as well.
I can use the tables effectively, and I have found the properties at the conditions I needed (55/100)degF. My question is one of curiosity at this point. How to calculate it programmatically.

Using an equation of state such as what is published in this paper - http://scitation.aip.org/getpdf/servlet/GetPDFServlet?filetype=pdf&id=JPCRBU000023000005000657000001&idtype=cvips&prog=normal

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump.

What, our answers weren't good enough? Don't just bump the thread, elaborate what it is you're still looking for :grumpy:

I guess I must have a subscription at work for the link I provided earlier, but a quick google search reveals that http://www.nist.gov/srd/PDFfiles/jpcrd480.pdf. Again, that is the equation of state for R134a that several computer programs use for property data.

Sorry about the delay. My question with the MBWR equation of state was determining the Volume from inside the summation. I can't directly solve for it, so I am assuming I need to put it into a guess and check routine until the error falls into an acceptable range?

1. What is the density of saturated vapor R-134a?

The density of saturated vapor R-134a is approximately 1.21 kg/m3 at 25 degrees Celsius and 1 atm pressure.

2. How does the density of saturated vapor R-134a compare to other refrigerants?

The density of saturated vapor R-134a is relatively low compared to other refrigerants, such as R-22 or R-410a. This means that a larger volume of R-134a is needed to achieve the same cooling effect.

3. Does the density of saturated vapor R-134a change with temperature?

Yes, the density of saturated vapor R-134a varies with temperature. As the temperature increases, the density decreases and vice versa.

4. How does the density of saturated vapor R-134a affect its performance as a refrigerant?

The density of saturated vapor R-134a plays a significant role in its performance as a refrigerant. A lower density means that it can absorb more heat energy, making it more efficient at cooling. However, it also means that it requires a larger volume to achieve the desired cooling effect.

5. Can the density of saturated vapor R-134a be used to determine its pressure?

Yes, the density of saturated vapor R-134a can be used to determine its pressure using the ideal gas law: P = ρRT, where P is pressure, ρ is density, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.