Density of star from hydrostatic equilibrium and pressure

In summary: r^2 \frac{d\rho}{dr} = -k\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d}{dr} \left ( r^2 \frac{d}{dr} \right ) which gives -k\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d}{dr} \left ( r^2 \frac{d}{dr} \right ) = -k\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d}{dr} \left ( r^2 \frac{d}{dr} \right ) which is the correct equation.
Dazed&Confused

Homework Statement

Assume that the pressure [itex]p[/itex] in a star with spherical symmetry is related to the density [itex]\rho[/itex] by the (distinctly unrealistic) equation of state [itex]p= \tfrac12 k\rho^2[/itex], where [itex]k[/itex] is a constant. Use the fluid equilibrium equation obtained in Problem 23 to find a relation between [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]\Phi[/itex]. Hence show that Poisson's equation yields
[tex]
\frac{d^2[r\rho(r)]}{dr^2} = -\frac{4 \pi G}{k}r \rho(r)
[/tex]
Solve this equation with the boundary conditions that [itex]\rho[/itex] is finite at [itex]r=0[/itex] and vanishes at the surface of the star. Hence show that the radius [itex]a[/itex] of the star is determinde solely by [itex]k[/itex] and is independent of its mass [itex]M[/itex]. Show also that [itex]M =(4/ \pi )a^4 \rho(0)[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\nabla p = \rho \textbf{g}[/itex] and [itex]p + \rho \Phi = \textrm{constant}[/itex]. And [itex] \nabla^2 \Phi = 4\pi G \rho [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming the differential equation, I am able to do the rest of the question. The relation they are looking for is [itex] \Phi = -k\rho[/itex] and this can be easily shown by
[tex] \nabla p = k\rho'(r) \rho(r) \hat{\textrm{r}} = \rho \textrm{g} [/tex] and so
[tex] -\nabla \Phi = \textrm{g} = k\rho'(r) \hat{\textrm{r}} [/tex]

from which you can get [itex] \Phi[/itex]. However by the second relevant equation this must also mean that [itex]-\tfrac12 k \rho^2 = \textrm{constant}[/itex], or I'm missing something. I've also not been able to obtain the differential equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not that it matters too much but it should be [itex]M = (4/\pi)a^3\rho(0)[/itex]. Any ideas anyone?

Edit 2: the equation [itex]p + \rho \Phi = \textrm{constant}[/itex] is only for an incompressible fluid, so there is no contradiction.

Last edited:
Dazed&Confused said:
[tex] -\nabla \Phi = \textrm{g} = k\rho'(r) \hat{\textrm{r}} [/tex]

Note that this is just ##\nabla \Phi = -k \nabla \rho##.

To relate this to Poisson's equation, take the divergence of both sides.

Hi thanks for responding. I did realize this and found the relation they wanted. I took the Laplacian of this which did not work, so unsurprisingly taking the divergence of what you have said does not work either.

Yes I did use them. Could you try to see if you get the correct differential equation?

Yes, I am getting the correct differential equation. Can you show your work?

Certainly. I used Poisson's equation on the relation, so [tex]
\nabla^2 \Phi = 4 \pi G \rho = -k \nabla^2 \rho = -k\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d}{dr} \left ( r^2 \frac{d\rho}{dr} \right ) [/tex]

from which I can't get the correct equation.

OK, that looks good so far. Try re-expressing the right hand side.

Likes Dazed&Confused
Thanks I was able to get it.

1. What is the definition of density in relation to the hydrostatic equilibrium and pressure of stars?

Density is the measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume. In the context of stars, it refers to the amount of matter present in a specific region of the star, and is directly related to the hydrostatic equilibrium and pressure that keeps the star stable.

2. How is the density of a star calculated?

The density of a star is calculated by dividing its mass by its volume. In order to accurately determine the volume of a star, scientists use a variety of techniques, including measuring the star's radius and using mathematical models based on observations.

3. What is the significance of the hydrostatic equilibrium in determining a star's density?

The hydrostatic equilibrium is an important concept in determining a star's density because it is the balance between the inward force of gravity and the outward force of pressure that keeps the star stable. If the density of a star is not sufficient to maintain this equilibrium, the star may undergo structural changes or even collapse.

4. How does pressure play a role in determining a star's density?

Pressure is directly related to density in stars. As the mass of a star increases, so does its density, which in turn increases the pressure exerted on the star's interior. This pressure helps to support the star against the inward pull of gravity, allowing it to maintain its shape and stability.

5. Can the density of a star change over time?

Yes, the density of a star can change over time. As a star ages, it undergoes various stages of nuclear fusion that can cause changes in its density. Additionally, interactions with other objects in its environment, such as collisions with other stars or the accretion of material from a companion star, can also affect a star's density.