Hydrostatic equlibrium and Centre of pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses using the hydrostatic equilibrium equation to find the center pressure of a uniform star with a given mass and radius. The conversation also addresses some assumptions and corrections in the process.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

A uniform star has a mass of M and radius of R,use the hydrostatic equilibrium equation to find its centre pressure. (note: not the minimum
centre pressure)

Homework Equations

$$\frac{dp}{dr}=-\frac{Gm\left(r\right)\rho \left(r\right)}{r^2}[1]$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Have I followed the right assumptions in my working? The reason I followed this is because it states uniform star.

I assume density of the star dose not change w/r to radius

$$M(r)=4/3 \pi r^3<\rho> [2]$$

subbing [2] into [1]

$$\frac{dp}{dr}=\frac{-G4\pi \:r^3<\rho >\:}{3r^2}=\frac{-G4\pi \:r<\rho \:>\:}{3}[3]$$

$$\int _{P_c}^0\:dp=\int _0^{R_s}\:\frac{-G4\pi \:r<\rho \:>\:}{3}[4]$$

$$P_c=\:\frac{-G2\pi \:R_s^2<\rho \:>\:}{3}[5]$$

So my ##<\rho>## is the average density of the star and as the pressure at the centre of the star is much greater than the surface I have assumed the pressure at the surface is 0.

I am a bit ifify on this as it the uniform mass which is tripping me up, so I just thought how I would do it, if I asked the question my self, have I missed something in the question should I assume mean density of the star?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happened to the ρ(r) term in eqn 1?

haruspex said:
What happened to the ρ(r) term in eqn 1?

Sorry my corrections as follows:
$$\frac{dp}{dr}=-\frac{4}{3}G\pi r<\rho >^2$$

carrying through my edit

$$P_c=\frac{2}{3}G\pi R^2<\rho >^2$$

Taylor_1989 said:
Sorry my corrections as follows:
$$\frac{dp}{dr}=-\frac{4}{3}G\pi r<\rho >^2$$

carrying through my edit

$$P_c=\frac{2}{3}G\pi R^2<\rho >^2$$
Looks right to me.

Likes Taylor_1989

What is hydrostatic equilibrium?

Hydrostatic equilibrium is a state in which a fluid is at rest and the pressure throughout the fluid is equal. This occurs when the gravitational force on the fluid is balanced by the pressure gradient force.

How does hydrostatic equilibrium apply to bodies of water?

In bodies of water, such as lakes or oceans, hydrostatic equilibrium is maintained by the weight of the water above and the atmospheric pressure acting on the surface. The pressure at any point in the water is directly proportional to the depth of the water above that point.

What is the center of pressure?

The center of pressure is the point at which the total force exerted by a fluid on a body is considered to act. This point is located at the centroid of the pressure distribution on the body.

How is the center of pressure calculated?

The center of pressure can be calculated by taking moments of the pressure distribution about a chosen reference point. This involves multiplying the pressure at each point by its distance from the reference point and summing these values. The resulting sum is then divided by the total force acting on the body to determine the location of the center of pressure.

What factors can affect the center of pressure?

The center of pressure can be affected by the shape, size, and orientation of the body in a fluid. It can also be influenced by external factors such as the velocity and density of the fluid, as well as the presence of other objects in the fluid.