Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Bernoulli's equation via Newton's second law

1. Dec 27, 2014 #1
    In the derivation on Wikipedia, it says the following
    ## \frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}v = \frac{d}{dx}[\frac{v^2}{2}] ##

How do they go from the second to last to last equation? I've been trying to understand, but I think I'm just looking over something incredibly simple.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2014 #2
    Hi,

first they replace ##\frac{dx}{dt}## with ##v##, by definition. Then they use the chain rule of differentiation 'backwards'.

4. Dec 27, 2014 #3
    Yes I know where the v comes from, I just don't see how they get the 1/2

Could you perhaps show what you mean mathematically? The chain rule backwards, that reminds me of integration by parts, but I don't really seem to understand what you mean.
    Thank you for replying though!

Specifically I don't understand how ##\dfrac{dv}{dx}v =\frac{d}{dx}\frac{v^2}{2} ##

5. Dec 27, 2014 #4
    Its because ##\frac{d}{dx} v^2 = 2 v\cdot \frac{dv}{dx} ##. So you have to take care of the 2.

6. Dec 27, 2014 #5
    Oh wow that is easy. I knew it was something simple, thank you!

7. Dec 27, 2014 #6
    You're welcome.

8. Dec 29, 2014 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, it's a bit inconsistent, because on the one hand they use ##\vec{x}## in the sense of Euler coordinates of fluid dynamics and on the other they use it as the trajectory ##\vec{x}(t)## of the material fluid element. The correct definition of the "material time derivative" of the velocity (and of any other quantity in the Euler notation)
    $$\mathrm{D}_t \vec{v}=\partial_t \vec{v} + (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{v}.$$
    So the correct derivation is as follows
    $$\mathrm{D}_t (\vec{v}^2)=2 \vec{v} \cdot \mathrm{D}_t \vec{v}.$$
    For an incompressible fluid you have
    $$\rho \mathrm{D}_t \vec{v}=-\vec{\nabla} p.$$
    Multiplying this equation by ##\vec{v}## gives
    $$\frac{\rho}{2} \mathrm{D}_t (\vec{v}^2)=-\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} p.$$
    If now you are in a static situation, where the pressure is time-independent you get
    $$\frac{\rho}{2} \mathrm{D}_t (\vec{v}^2)=-\mathrm{D}_t p.$$
    Since ##\rho=\text{const}## for an incompressible fluid, you finally get by integration over time
    $$\frac{\rho}{2} \vec{v}^2 + p=\text{const},$$
    which is Bernoulli's Law in the most simple case.

The most general extension of this law is the energy balance of a fluid, which expresses the energy-conservation law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook