1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Newton's Second Law Integral Form

1. Sep 19, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

I was reading my book and I understand the following $$\sum \vec{F} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \iiint_{CV} \rho \vec{u} dV +\iint_{CS} \rho \vec{u} ( \vec{u_{rel}} \cdot \hat{n}) dS$$ ##CV## is a control volume, ##CS## is control surface, ##u## is velocity, ##u_{rel}## is velocity relative to control volume, and the rest is self-spoken for. However, then the book states the following $$m_{CV} \frac{d}{dt} \vec{u_{CV}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \iiint_{CV} \rho \vec{u_{CV}} dV +\iint_{CS} \rho \vec{u_{CV}} ( \vec{u_{rel}} \cdot \hat{n}) dS$$ where ##u_{CV}## is the velocity of the control volume. Any help in understanding why this is?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2
    The first equation looks OK to me if ##u_{rel}## were replaced by just u. In the second equation, I'm not sure what ##u_{CV}## is supposed to represent.

4. Sep 20, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

##\vec{u}## is the fluid velocity relative to an inertial frame, while ##\vec{u_{rel}} = \vec{u} − \vec{u_{CV}}## is the fluid velocity relative to the control volume. Then only the fluid velocity relative to the control volume boundary will induce a flux through this boundary. Does that look correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted