Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Newton's Second Law Integral Form

1. Sep 19, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

I was reading my book and I understand the following $$\sum \vec{F} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \iiint_{CV} \rho \vec{u} dV +\iint_{CS} \rho \vec{u} ( \vec{u_{rel}} \cdot \hat{n}) dS$$ ##CV## is a control volume, ##CS## is control surface, ##u## is velocity, ##u_{rel}## is velocity relative to control volume, and the rest is self-spoken for. However, then the book states the following $$m_{CV} \frac{d}{dt} \vec{u_{CV}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \iiint_{CV} \rho \vec{u_{CV}} dV +\iint_{CS} \rho \vec{u_{CV}} ( \vec{u_{rel}} \cdot \hat{n}) dS$$ where ##u_{CV}## is the velocity of the control volume. Any help in understanding why this is?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2
    The first equation looks OK to me if ##u_{rel}## were replaced by just u. In the second equation, I'm not sure what ##u_{CV}## is supposed to represent.

4. Sep 20, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

##\vec{u}## is the fluid velocity relative to an inertial frame, while ##\vec{u_{rel}} = \vec{u} − \vec{u_{CV}}## is the fluid velocity relative to the control volume. Then only the fluid velocity relative to the control volume boundary will induce a flux through this boundary. Does that look correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted