1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of electric field for a dipole.

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A test charge P is separated by a distance "Z" from the midpoint of a dipole. The distance between the two particles in the dipole is d. Find an equation for the electric field between the dipole and the test charge.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since I did not want to spend a lot of time in Latex, I did a quick sketch of my work in Paint (thus, the messiness).

I am following Halliday/Resnick 8th edition. The book does not explain most of this problem, so I redid this based on class notes.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2jbf7.jpg

I'm having an issue with some of the steps. I understand that there is a superposition of electric fields from the negative and positive charges, and used the basic equation (kq/r^2) to solve for the separate electric fields.

Unfortunately, the book calls skips some of the steps, calling it "some algebra," and my instructor went through it very quickly.

I highlighted the problem areas:
    1. I don't understand how (z^2 + (d/2)^2)= z^2(1+(d/2z).
    How exactly does that work? That is very confusing.

2. Supposedly, I can expand this part using the binomial theorem.
    But the binomial theorem is (1+x)^n= 1 + (nx) + (n(n-1)^2)/2!

Given that n=-2, I don't know why I can skip the next step.

After these two problem areas, I understood the rest of it, and am able to solve (as shown). Yet, these two areas that I didn't understand are pretty important, and it would be terrible to simply memorize them.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The notes don't say (z2 + (d/2)2)= z2(1+(d/2z) .

They say (z2 + (d/2)2)= z2(1+(d/2z)2) .

That's just algebra, factoring out z2 .

Do you need that explained further?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook