Derivation of Euler-Lagrange equation with change of coordinates

In summary: You must be misreading that. In summary, t does not depend on the coordinates and is not varied in Hamilton's principle of least action, therefore the term ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial\dot{q_m}}## is not included in (5.41). Additionally, the Euler-Lagrange equations are invariant under arbitrary diffeomorphisms and the equations of motion in new coordinates are given by ##\frac{\partial L'}{\partial q^k}-\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L'}{\partial \dot{q}^k}=0##, where t is kept as an independent variable and its
Happiness
Why isn't ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial \dot{q_m}}## included in (5.41), given that ##L## could depend on ##t## explicitly?

image.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##t## does not depend on the coordinates.

And also ##t## is not varied in Hamilton's principle of least action.

Orodruin said:
##t## does not depend on the coordinates.

Suppose ##(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})_{y,z}\neq0##. Doesn't that imply ##(\frac{\partial t}{\partial x})_{y,z}=((\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})_{y,z})^{-1}\neq0##?

Happiness said:
Suppose ##(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})_{y,z}\neq0##. Doesn't that imply ##(\frac{\partial t}{\partial x})_{y,z}=((\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})_{y,z})^{-1}\neq0##?
"##t## does not depend on the coordinates" ## \Leftrightarrow (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})_{y,z}=0##!

Shayan.J said:
"##t## does not depend on the coordinates" ## \Leftrightarrow (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})_{y,z}=0##!

Suppose a particle travels at constant velocity, i.e., ##x=vt##. Then ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}=v\neq0##. So does ##t## depends on ##x##? I'm confused.

Happiness said:
Suppose a particle travels at constant velocity, i.e., ##x=vt##. Then ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}=v\neq0##. So does ##t## depends on ##x##? I'm confused.
You are considering a transformation taking x to q and t to t. Regardless of what transformation you have done, t only depends on t.

Likes Happiness
Well, of course you can have transformations from one set of generalized coordinates to another that depends explicitly on time. That's, e.g., useful if you want to describe the motion in non-inertial frames starting from the physics in an inertial frame. Still this has nothing to do with the variation, because by definition in Hamilton's principle time is not varied.

It turns out immidiately that the Euler-Lagrange equations are forminvariant under arbitrary diffeomorphisms
$$q^{\prime k}=Q^k(q,t).$$

Likes Happiness
Indeed, the new coordinates may depend explicitly on time by (5.38) below.

In that case, should ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial\dot{q_m}}## be included in (5.41)?

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 10.38.56 pm.png

Happiness said:
In that case, should ∂L∂t∂t∂˙qm∂L∂t∂t∂qm˙\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial\dot{q_m}} be included in (5.41)?
No, t still does not depend on the coordinates.

I don't know what Eq. (5.41) is, but you should get the form-invariant Euler-Lagrange equations also in the new coordinates, i.e., you have given
$$L'(q,\dot{q},t)=L[x(q,t);\dot{x}(q,t),t].$$
where
$$\dot{x}^i=\dot{q}^k \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial q^k}+\partial_t x^i.$$
In this equation the ##\partial_t x^i## means the derivative of the explicit time dependence of ##x^i(q,t)##.

Then the equations of motion in the new coordinates read
$$\frac{\partial L'}{\partial q^k}-\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L'}{\partial \dot{q}^k}=0.$$

Orodruin said:
No, t still does not depend on the coordinates.

Does that mean ##\frac{\partial t}{\partial\dot{q_m}}=0## and ##\frac{\partial t}{\partial q_m}=0##? Why?

Clearly, ##\frac{\partial q_m}{\partial t}\neq0##.

vanhees71 said:
I don't know what Eq. (5.41) is, but you should get the form-invariant Euler-Lagrange equations also in the new coordinates, i.e., you have given
$$L'(q,\dot{q},t)=L[x(q,t);\dot{x}(q,t),t].$$
where
$$\dot{x}^i=\dot{q}^k \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial q^k}+\partial_t x^i.$$
In this equation the ##\partial_t x^i## means the derivative of the explicit time dependence of ##x^i(q,t)##.

Then the equations of motion in the new coordinates read
$$\frac{\partial L'}{\partial q^k}-\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L'}{\partial \dot{q}^k}=0.$$

What you wrote is claim 5.2, where (5.41) is found. But the proof seems to omit the term ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial\dot{q_m}}## in (5.41).

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 11.00.16 pm.png

Happiness said:
Does that mean ##\frac{\partial t}{\partial\dot{q_m}}=0## and ##\frac{\partial t}{\partial q_m}=0##? Why?

Clearly, ##\frac{\partial q_m}{\partial t}\neq0##.
In general, for partial derivatives, ##\partial x^i/\partial y^j## is not equal to the reciprocal of ##\partial y^j/\partial x^i##. You need to consider what these functions actually are functions of and what variable change you are considering. In this case you are keeping t as an independent variable and its parial derivative wrt anything else is zero.

Likes Happiness
There is no such term! It doesn't even make any sense, or how do you define it?

What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical formula used in the field of calculus of variations. It is used to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a given integral, subject to certain constraints.

How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived using the calculus of variations, a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the extrema of functionals. It involves setting up a functional and then finding the function that minimizes or maximizes it using the Euler-Lagrange equation.

What is the significance of the change of coordinates in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The change of coordinates allows us to transform the original problem into a simpler one, making it easier to find the function that minimizes or maximizes the functional. This is particularly useful when dealing with non-Cartesian coordinate systems, where the equations may be more complex.

What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation assumes that the functional is continuous, has continuous first-order derivatives, and has a unique solution. It also assumes that the boundary conditions are fixed and do not vary with the function.

What are some real-world applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to find the shortest path between two points, the shape of a hanging chain, and the optimal trajectory for a rocket. It is also used in the study of optimal control and game theory.