Derivation of formula for general formula of sine equations

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
autodidude
Messages
332
Reaction score
0
My book gives the following formulas for the general solution of sine equations (if sin(x)=a)

[tex]x=2n\pi + sin^-^1(a)[/tex]

and

[tex]x=(2n+1)\pi - sin^-^1(a)[/tex]

Alternatively
[tex]x=n\pi + (-1)^nsin^-^1(a)[/tex]

But it doesn't explain how it got them. I can easily see how they got the first two but I have no idea how they got the more general one. My teacher didn't show how it was derived either...just threw a bunch of formulas at us to remember
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the equation

[tex]x=n\pi + (-1)^n \sin^{-1}(a)[/tex]

What happens if you take n even (that is: of the form 2k) and what happens if you take n odd (that is: of the form 2k+1)??
 
^ Wow, it seems so obvious now but I never would've seen had you not pointed me in the right direction, thank you!