Derivation of formula for general formula of sine equations

In summary, the conversation discusses different formulas for the general solution of sine equations, specifically when sin(x)=a. The first two formulas are x=2n\pi + sin^-^1(a) and x=(2n+1)\pi - sin^-^1(a), while the more general formula is x=n\pi + (-1)^nsin^-^1(a). The conversation also mentions that the process of deriving the more general formula is not explained and the teacher did not cover it in class. It is then suggested to consider the values of n being even and odd to better understand the formula.
autodidude
My book gives the following formulas for the general solution of sine equations (if sin(x)=a)

[tex]x=2n\pi + sin^-^1(a)[/tex]

and

[tex]x=(2n+1)\pi - sin^-^1(a)[/tex]

Alternatively
[tex]x=n\pi + (-1)^nsin^-^1(a)[/tex]

But it doesn't explain how it got them. I can easily see how they got the first two but I have no idea how they got the more general one. My teacher didn't show how it was derived either...just threw a bunch of formulas at us to remember

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take the equation

[tex]x=n\pi + (-1)^n \sin^{-1}(a)[/tex]

What happens if you take n even (that is: of the form 2k) and what happens if you take n odd (that is: of the form 2k+1)??

^ Wow, it seems so obvious now but I never would've seen had you not pointed me in the right direction, thank you!

1. What is the general formula for a sine equation?

The general formula for a sine equation is y = A sin (Bx + C) + D, where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, C is the phase shift, and D is the vertical shift.

2. How is the general formula for a sine equation derived?

The general formula for a sine equation is derived using the trigonometric identity sin(x + y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y). By substituting x with Bx and y with C, we get sin(Bx + C) = sin(Bx)cos(C) + cos(Bx)sin(C). Then, by adjusting for amplitude and vertical shift, we get the general formula y = A sin (Bx + C) + D.

3. What does each variable in the general formula for a sine equation represent?

The variable A represents the amplitude, or the maximum displacement of the curve from its center. The variable B represents the frequency, or the number of cycles completed in a unit of time. The variable C represents the phase shift, or the horizontal displacement of the curve. The variable D represents the vertical shift, or the overall vertical position of the curve.

4. Can the general formula for a sine equation be applied to all sine curves?

Yes, the general formula for a sine equation can be applied to all sine curves because it allows for adjustments in amplitude, frequency, phase shift, and vertical shift, which can account for any variations in the shape and position of the curve.

5. How is the general formula for a sine equation used in real-world applications?

The general formula for a sine equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as modeling sound waves, predicting tides and ocean currents, and analyzing electrical circuits. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering for studying periodic phenomena.