Derivation of Law of Refraction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Messages
436
Reaction score
13
Hello;

I have learned that the law of refraction is n = sinI/sinR, where n is the refractive index, I is the angle of incidence, and R is the angle of refraction.

But why is it sinI/sinR, and not simply angle I/angle R if it is identifying the ratio between the two angles?

I have heard that I need to do some trigonometric manipulation but I don't know what this manipulation is. Thanks.

(i.e. if I = 60 degrees, and R = 30 degrees, then the refractive index is sqrt(3), not 2... but why? how was this law derived?)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can derive it from Fermat's principle (least time), or from hamilton's principle. The key is that it only depends on the component of velocity parallel to the surface.
There is also the old, 'running along the sand--swimming across the river' in the least time example which gives you the same result.