Derivation of Lorentz transformation (time)

In summary, because you want to rewrite the first term on the right-hand side of the equation in post #4, you need to use the symbol δ instead of γ.
rem45
Hi all,

I'm trying to derive that t=δ(t'+vx'/c^2)

Using x'=δ(x-vt) then substituting for x=δ(x'+vt') I should be able to isolate t and solve the problem but I am getting to the following point after simplification and can't figure out where to go next...?

x'= δ[δ(x'+vt')-vt] (isolate "vt")

vt = -x'/δ + δ(x'+vt') (divide by "v")

t = -x'/δv + (δ/v)(x'+vt')

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're trying to solve the system of equations
\begin{align}
&t'=\gamma(-vx/c^2+t)\\
&x'=\gamma(x-vt)
\end{align} for t, it's really weird to use the result for x in terms of t' and x', because that's no easier to find than the result for t.

I recommend that you start by finding a linear combination of x' and t' that doesn't involve x. (I would also use units such that c=1, to avoid having to keep track of factors of c in every step, but that's optional).

I agree but the assumption is that I do not know the equation for t or t', only x and x'. I see this approach on numerous websites including the wikipedia derivation but everyone seems to get to where I am the just write that this becomes the familiar t=(gamma)(t'+vx'/c^2)

OK, in that case, the trick is to rewrite ##\gamma^2-1## in a clever way. Can you see it? Use the definition of ##\gamma##.
$$t=-\frac{x'}{\gamma v}+\frac{\gamma}{v}(x'+vt') =\frac{x'}{\gamma v}(\gamma^2-1)+\gamma t'.$$

Yes, it took me min but now I see it! Very sneaky. I don't see how this becomes t=δ(t'+vx'/c^2)...

Apparently δ(vx'/c^2) = [x'/δ(v)](δ^2-1) but there must be some other trick to reduce to the standard formula

Not sure why there's an x' in your result for ##\gamma^2-1##, but you can cancel it from that equation. Then solve for ##\gamma^2-1##, and insert the result into the right-hand side of the calculation in post #4.

Why are you using the symbol δ instead of γ. Is it just because the latter looks too much like a y?

Edit: OK, now I see what you're doing. The reason you didn't solve for ##\gamma^2-1## is that you wanted to rewrite the first term on the right-hand side in post #4. You found that it's equal to ##\gamma v x'/c^2##. This turns the result in post #4 into
$$t=\frac{\gamma v x'}{c^2}+\gamma t' =\gamma\left(t'+\frac{vx'}{c^2}\right).$$

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Got it! Sorry i didn't have my reading glasses with me but now i can see now that I've been using delta instead of gamma.

Thanks for your help!

OK, cool. I think the easiest way to do this calculation is like this (in units such that c=1):

\begin{align}
&x'=\gamma(x-vt) =\gamma\big(\gamma(x'+vt')-vt\big) =\gamma^2(x'+vt')-\gamma vt\\
&\gamma vt =\gamma^2(x'+vt')-x' =(\gamma^2-1)x'+\gamma^2vt'\\
&\hspace{20mm}\bigg[\gamma^2-1=\frac{1}{1-v^2}-1 =\frac{1-(1-v^2)}{1-v^2}=\gamma^2v^2\bigg]\\
&\gamma vt =\gamma^2v^2x'+\gamma^2vt'\\
&t=\gamma v x'+\gamma t' =\gamma(vx'+t')
\end{align}

1. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how the measurements of time, distance, and mass change between two reference frames that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. It was originally developed by Hendrik Lorentz to explain the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment and later expanded upon by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity.

2. Why is the Lorentz transformation important?

The Lorentz transformation is important because it allows us to understand how time and space are relative and how they change between different frames of reference. This has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of space and time and has been confirmed by countless experiments and observations.

3. What is the derivation of the Lorentz transformation?

The derivation of the Lorentz transformation involves using the principles of special relativity, specifically the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity, to derive the equations that describe how time and space are transformed between reference frames. This involves using mathematical equations such as the Pythagorean theorem and the principle of time dilation.

4. How do the equations for time transformation differ from those for space transformation?

The equations for time transformation and space transformation are similar in structure, but they differ in the variables and constants used. Time transformation involves the use of the Lorentz factor (γ), which takes into account the relative velocity between the two reference frames, while space transformation does not. Additionally, the equations for time transformation involve a change in sign, which accounts for the difference in direction between time and space.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lorentz transformation?

While the Lorentz transformation is a fundamental concept in special relativity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments, it does have its limitations. It only applies to objects moving at constant velocities and does not take into account acceleration or gravitational effects. Additionally, it is only applicable in the absence of external forces and in the absence of interactions with other objects.