1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Derivation of the Laplacian in Spherical Coordinates

1. Jun 12, 2017 #1
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this.

For some time, I have wanted to derive the Laplacian in spherical coordinates for myself using what some people call the "brute force" method. I knew it would take several sheets of paper and could quickly become disorganized, so I decided to type it out and present it in what I hope is a logical and obvious manner.

It took me about four days of working in my spare time, but I just finished and thought it might be worth sharing. The Laplacian is something that comes up a lot in textbooks, but never really gets a good explanation of why it is has its final form.

Anyways, here it is. Please excuse any spelling errors. I do think the math is all correct though.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2017 #2
    it would be better if you study tensor calculus and get familiar with invariant definition of the Laplace operator: ##\Delta=g^{ij}\nabla_i\nabla_j##

4. Jun 12, 2017 #3
    I agree. This was just a for fun exercise to pass the time.

5. Jun 13, 2017 #4
    I found a major mistake on page one, of all places. Corrected version is attached.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted