Derivation of the Laplacian in Spherical Coordinates

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
LyleJr
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this.

For some time, I have wanted to derive the Laplacian in spherical coordinates for myself using what some people call the "brute force" method. I knew it would take several sheets of paper and could quickly become disorganized, so I decided to type it out and present it in what I hope is a logical and obvious manner.

It took me about four days of working in my spare time, but I just finished and thought it might be worth sharing. The Laplacian is something that comes up a lot in textbooks, but never really gets a good explanation of why it is has its final form.

Anyways, here it is. Please excuse any spelling errors. I do think the math is all correct though.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
it would be better if you study tensor calculus and get familiar with invariant definition of the Laplace operator: ##\Delta=g^{ij}\nabla_i\nabla_j##
 
zwierz said:
it would be better if you study tensor calculus and get familiar with invariant definition of the Laplace operator: ##\Delta=g^{ij}\nabla_i\nabla_j##

I agree. This was just a for fun exercise to pass the time.