Derivation step in ODE solution in textbook

In summary, After a change of variable in the original ODE, the ODE in the new independent variable can be solved using a standard method. However, the author takes a shortcut and skips exact steps, making it difficult for others to reproduce the transition on their own. The author gives a hint to multiply through by y' and integrate directly to obtain the solution, but this is not explained in detail. The intermediate steps involve using the chain and product rule of integration, which leads to the final solution of y' = \pm \sqrt{2(c + y^{-2})}.
D_Tr
This is not homework but is part of the solution process of an ODE and I cannot understand how the author made a derivation step. After a change of variable in the original ODE, the ODE in the new independent variable has a standard method of solution. But instead of using this method, the author takes a shortcut but the exact steps are skipped and I cannot reproduce the transition on my own.

Homework Statement

How do we go from: [itex]y'' + 2y^{-3} = 0[/itex] to: [itex]y' = \sqrt{2(c_1 + 1/y^2)}[/itex] ?

The only hint given by the author is: "...but in this case we can multiply through by y' and integrate directly to obtain..."

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried myltiplying through by y' and integrating both sides by parts but that gave me nothing I could use to go further.. I cannot even get back the first eq. by differentiating the second..

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the chain and product rule of integration. If I say more, it's more or less the solution ;-)).

BTW: The textbook is incomplete! In front of the square root should be a [itex]\pm[/itex] sign!

Likes 1 person
Thanks vanhees71! Your comment helped
So the intermediate steps are:

[tex]
y''y' = -2y^{-3}y' \implies y''y' = \frac{d(y^-2)}{dt} \implies \int{y''y'}dt = y^{-2} + c1
[/tex]
[tex]
\implies \frac{y'^{2}}{2} = y^{-2} + c1 + c2 \implies y' = \pm \sqrt{2(c + y^{-2})}
[/tex]

1. What is the derivation step in solving an ODE?

The derivation step in solving an ODE (ordinary differential equation) is the process of using mathematical techniques to manipulate the equation in order to isolate and solve for the dependent variable. This is typically done by taking the derivative of both sides of the equation and rearranging terms until the dependent variable is on one side and all other terms are on the other side.

2. Why is the derivation step important in ODE solution?

The derivation step is important because it allows us to find the exact solution to an ODE. By manipulating the equation and isolating the dependent variable, we can solve for its value at any given point, allowing us to understand the behavior of the system described by the ODE.

3. What are some common techniques used in the derivation step of ODE solution?

Some common techniques used in the derivation step include separation of variables, substitution, and integration. These techniques can be used to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve for the dependent variable.

4. How do you know when you have successfully completed the derivation step?

You know you have successfully completed the derivation step when you have isolated the dependent variable on one side of the equation and all other terms on the other side. You may also need to apply additional algebraic or trigonometric identities to fully simplify the equation.

5. Are there any tips for making the derivation step easier?

Yes, there are a few tips that can make the derivation step easier. One is to always double check your algebraic steps to ensure you have not made a mistake. Another is to practice solving different types of ODEs to become more familiar with the techniques. Additionally, it can be helpful to break down the derivation step into smaller, manageable steps rather than trying to solve the entire equation at once.