Derivations for Schrodinger's equations for potential step

In summary, the conversation discussed the different versions of the Schrodinger equation for a step potential and how they were derived. It was concluded that these versions are just algebraically manipulated versions of the original equation and are not necessary for solving it. However, these manipulations do make solving the equation simpler and more manageable.
space-time
I have been studying potential steps and barriers as well as reflection and transmission coefficients and how to derive them. Most of it makes sense to me except for one thing:

As we know, the normal Schrodinger equation is:

(-ħ2/2m) (∂2Ψ/∂x2) + v(x)Ψ = EΨ

For a step potential however, my book and web resource both say that for the boundary conditions:

v(x)= 0 for x < 0 and V0 for x ≥ 0

the Schrodinger equations are:

(∂2Ψ1/∂x2) + K12Ψ1(x) = 0

and
(∂2Ψ2/∂x2) + K22Ψ2(x) = 0

where K1 = squrt(2mE) / ħ and K2 = squrt(2m(E- V0)) / ħ

(the plus sign in the second one changes into a minus when the particle doesn't have enough energy to overcome the step).

Where/How exactly did Schrodinger get these step potential equations from the original one? The step potential equations don't even seem to have the (-ħ2/2m) term in front. Can someone please explain to me why step potentials seem to have different Schrodinger equations than the normal one?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just basic algebra, giving ##K_1## as an example, and you should work out ##K_2## for yourself:

$$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi=E\psi$$ $$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi=-\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}E\psi$$ $$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi+\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\psi=0$$ $$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi+K_1^2\psi=0$$

Matterwave said:
This is just basic algebra, giving ##K_1## as an example, and you should work out ##K_2## for yourself:

$$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi=E\psi$$ $$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi=-\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}E\psi$$ $$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi+\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\psi=0$$ $$\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi+K_1^2\psi=0$$

I see. Thank you. It is just simple algebra. This does bring up the question however of why that was necessary in the first place. Why didn't he just leave the equation as it originally was (since these other versions are just algebraically manipulated versions of the original)? After all, the original version is just as simple to solve as the other versions. I have a hypothesis as to why this manipulation was necessary (it has to do with being able to normalize the solutions). I am not 100% sure however that this is the reason.

space-time said:
I see. Thank you. It is just simple algebra. This does bring up the question however of why that was necessary in the first place. Why didn't he just leave the equation as it originally was (since these other versions are just algebraically manipulated versions of the original)? After all, the original version is just as simple to solve as the other versions. I have a hypothesis as to why this manipulation was necessary (it has to do with being able to normalize the solutions). I am not 100% sure however that this is the reason.

No, you can solve it without doing any algebraic manipulations. And this has nothing to do with normalization. But if you do these manipulations, it just makes things a little simpler when you go ahead and solve it.

When you finally start writing out the solutions and manipulating them algebraically, would you rather wrestle with things like ##e^{ik_1 x}## and ##e^{ik_2 x}## or with things like ##e^{i\sqrt{2mE}x/\hbar}## and ##e^{i\sqrt{2m(E-V_0)}x/\hbar}## ? :olduhh:

1. What is the Schrodinger's equation for a potential step?

The Schrodinger's equation for a potential step is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles when they encounter a sudden change in potential energy. It is given by:

where is the wave function, is the particle's mass, is the particle's total energy, is the potential step height, and is the Heaviside step function.

2. How is the Schrodinger's equation derived for a potential step?

The Schrodinger's equation for a potential step is derived by applying the time-independent Schrodinger's equation, , to the regions before and after the step, and then matching the wave function and its derivative at the step boundary. This results in a system of two equations, which can be solved to obtain the wave function and energy of the particle in the two regions.

3. What is the significance of the potential step in quantum mechanics?

The potential step is a simple model that is used to study the behavior of quantum particles when they encounter a sudden change in potential energy. It helps us understand the principles of quantum mechanics and how particles behave in different potential energy landscapes. It also has practical applications in fields such as semiconductor physics and quantum computing.

4. What are the key assumptions made in deriving the Schrodinger's equation for a potential step?

The key assumptions made in deriving the Schrodinger's equation for a potential step are:
1. The particle is described by a wave function.
2. The potential step is a sudden change in potential energy.
3. The particle's energy is constant throughout the system.
4. The potential energy is zero outside the step region.
5. The potential energy is constant within the step region.

5. Can the Schrodinger's equation for a potential step be generalized to other potential energy landscapes?

Yes, the Schrodinger's equation for a potential step can be generalized to other potential energy landscapes by using a similar approach and applying the boundary conditions accordingly. However, the specific form of the equation may be different for different potential energy landscapes. For example, for a potential well, the potential energy is negative inside the well, and the equation will have a different form compared to the potential step equation.