Derivative graph and the graph of the original function

In summary: If the function f (x) is strictly positive (above the x-axis) then this means that the slope of f (x) is always positive. So the function f (x) can have at most one (real) root, or none as is the case with f (x) = e^x.
kLPantera

Homework Statement

When given the graph of f '(x) the graph sort of oscillates above the x-axis and the graph of
g '(x) which starts in Quadrant III sort of curves up, goes through point (0,0) keeps going up then begins to even out.

Homework Equations

How can you tell how many solutions there can be when f(x) = 0? How can you tell how many solutions there can be when g(x) = 0? and If g(x) has 2 solutions where would they be?

I don't seem to understand this.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to have some knowledge of the form of the equations you're dealing with. Do you have a functional form for the derivatives of f'(x) and g'(x)?

If you don't know the forms of these equations, then I'm not sure if what you're asking is possible.

well if f'(x) is never above the x-axis then the slope is never negative, so there could only be one solution for f(x)=0 right? For g(x)=0 if there are two solutions then one solution would have to be for when x<0 and x>0 since the slope only changes it's sign after the graph crosses the origin. but that's only if g(x) crosses the x-axis before x becomes > 0, or else it can't go back across the x-axis once the slope changes. That's just how I visualized it, hope that helps a little.

There are only 2 graphs: f'(x) and g'(x).

I understand the one for g(x) now however...

For the f'(x) graph, f'(x) is always above the x-axis. That means the slope is always positive?

If the functioon f ' (x) is strictly positive (above the x-axis) then this means that the slope of f (x) is always positive. So the function f (x) can have at most one (real) root, or none as is the case with f (x) = e^x.

kLPantera said:
There are only 2 graphs: f'(x) and g'(x).

I understand the one for g(x) now however...

For the f'(x) graph, f'(x) is always above the x-axis. That means the slope is always positive?

1. What is a derivative graph?

A derivative graph is a graph that shows the slope of a function at different points. It is derived from the graph of the original function by calculating the slope of a tangent line at each point on the original graph.

2. How is the derivative graph related to the graph of the original function?

The derivative graph and the graph of the original function are closely related as the derivative graph is a visual representation of the rate of change of the original function. The derivative graph can help us understand the behavior of the original function, such as its increasing or decreasing intervals, concavity, and critical points.

3. How can I use the derivative graph to find the maximum or minimum points of the original function?

The maximum or minimum points of the original function can be found by locating the highest or lowest point on the derivative graph. These points correspond to the points on the original function where the slope is zero, also known as critical points. By finding the critical points and plugging them into the original function, we can determine the maximum or minimum values.

4. Can the derivative graph help me determine the behavior of the original function near a certain point?

Yes, the derivative graph can provide information about the behavior of the original function near a certain point. If the derivative graph is positive, the original function is increasing at that point, and if the derivative graph is negative, the original function is decreasing at that point. Additionally, the shape of the derivative graph can indicate whether the original function is concave up or down near a specific point.

5. Is it possible for the derivative graph to be discontinuous while the graph of the original function is continuous?

Yes, it is possible for the derivative graph to be discontinuous while the graph of the original function is continuous. This can occur when the original function has sharp corners or cusps, which result in a discontinuity in the derivative graph. However, the original function can still be continuous as it has no breaks in its graph.