Derivative of a fraction and power

In summary, the conversation discusses taking the derivative of [x/x^2+1]^3 and where to start in the process. The responder suggests using the chain rule, power rule, quotient rule, and difference rule. The questioner clarifies the expression and thanks the responder for their help, while also receiving guidance on where to post future questions.
Latte'
I'm trying to take the derivative of [x/x^2+1]^3. Where do I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start as how you start to any derivative, difference quotient.

as I interpret
$$(\frac{x}{x^2}+1)^3$$

start with the chain rule with power rule , then quotient and difference rule .

Latte' said:
Start by clarifying your expression.
[itex](\frac{x}{x^2+1})^3[/itex] or [itex](\frac{1}{x}+1)^3[/itex]?

Thanks! That really helped.

Latte' said:
In the future, post questions like this in the Homework & Coursework section (under Calculus), not here in the technical sections. When you post a question in the Homework section, a template appears into which you enter the problem description, any formulas or equations, and what you have tried.

What is the derivative of a fraction?

The derivative of a fraction is calculated by using the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of a fraction is equal to the denominator times the derivative of the numerator minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the denominator squared.

What is the power rule for derivatives?

The power rule for derivatives states that the derivative of a function raised to a power is equal to the power multiplied by the function raised to the power minus one, all multiplied by the derivative of the function.

Can the chain rule be applied to fractions and powers?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to fractions and powers. When taking the derivative of a function within a fraction or power, the chain rule is used to find the derivative of the inner function, and then this derivative is multiplied by the derivative of the outer function.

How do I simplify a fraction with a variable in the denominator?

To simplify a fraction with a variable in the denominator, you can use the power rule for derivatives to rewrite the fraction as a single term. Then, you can solve for the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately, and simplify the resulting fraction.

What is the difference between a derivative of a fraction and a derivative of a power?

The main difference between a derivative of a fraction and a derivative of a power is the rule used to calculate them. The derivative of a fraction uses the quotient rule, while the derivative of a power uses the power rule. Additionally, the derivative of a fraction may result in a fraction, while the derivative of a power may result in a polynomial expression.