1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a function whose variable is a matrix

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##f: M_{n \times n} \rightarrow M_{n \times n}## with ##f(X) = X^2##, where ##M_{n \times n}## denotes the vector space of ##n \times n## matrices. Show ##f## is differentiable and find its differential.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far, I've been looking at the difference quotient in order to "guess" linear transformation ##A## that will satisfy it. We have:
    $$\lim_{|h|\to 0} \frac{|f(X+h) - f(X) - Ah|}{|h|} = \lim_{|h|\to 0} \frac{|Xh + hX + h^2 - Ah|}{|h|}$$after a little simplifying.
    And I was thinking for a fixed ##X##, I have ##A(h) = Xh + hX##, as I wanted to get rid of the ##Xh + hX## term in the quotient. However, I'm stuck now since it's ##Ah## and not just ##A##. I was thinking of throwing in an ##h^{-1}## to my ##A##, but that would make it non-linear. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The concept you need is that of the Frechet Derivative; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fréchet_derivative or
    http://www.maths.lse.ac.uk/Courses/MA409/Notes-Part2.pdf . If ##h## is a matrix, then for ##f(x) = x^2## we have
    [tex] f(X+h) - f(X) = (X+h)(X+h) - X^2 = hX + Xh + h^2, [/tex]
    so the linear operator ##D_X: h \rightarrow M_{n \times n},## defined as ##D_X(h) = Xh + hX##, is the Frechet derivative. Since ##D_X## is linear, it will always be possible to write ##D_X(h)## as ##A_X h## for some matrix ##A_X##, if you really want to, but I am not sure if your question really requires that you do so.

4. Feb 25, 2014 #3
    Ah okay, thank you! I just realized I was swapping linear transformation and matrix in my thought process, since in my linear algebra class "A" is normally a matrix while in my analysis class, "A" is a linear transformation. As such, it is saying A(h), not A*h. My confusion is cleared up =]

5. Feb 26, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I take back what I said about it always being possible to write ##D_X(h)## as ##A_Xh## for some matrix ##A_X##. I forgot that ##h## is a matrix, not a vector. If it were a vector, that re-write would be possible, but maybe not if it is a matrix. (Actually, ##h## is an ##n^2##-dimensional vector, so if we are willing to re-write all matrices as ##n^2##-vectors, there would, indeed, be an ##n^2 \times n^2## matrix giving us what we need, but that seems excessive.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted