Derivative of a vector expression?

In summary, the time derivative of the function with E as a constant and B varying with time is calculated as (where a dot above the letter indicates a time derivative): (1/B^4)[B^2(E x B dot) - 2B(B dot)(E x B)]. It does not simplify further.
quarky2001
I'm trying to find the time derivative of the following function, where E is a constant, spatially uniform vector field, and B is as well, but B varies with time.

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\vec{E}\times\vec{B}}{B^2}\right)
[/tex]

Remembering that B is time dependent and E is not, I've calculated the derivative of this as (where a dot above the letter indicates a time derivative):

[tex]
\frac{1}{B^4}\left[B^2(\vec{E}\times\dot{\vec{B}})-2B\dot{B}(\vec{E}\times\vec{B})\right]
[/tex]

Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks fine to me, assuming you mean a dot product between B and its derivative.

Whoops, forgot that! Thanks for checking it though. It's a shame it doesn't simplify more, but so long as it's correct I'm fine with it.

1. What is the derivative of a vector expression?

The derivative of a vector expression is a vector that represents the rate of change of the original vector with respect to a given variable. It is calculated by taking the derivative of each component of the vector separately.

2. How is the derivative of a vector expression different from the derivative of a scalar expression?

The main difference is that a derivative of a vector expression results in a vector, while the derivative of a scalar expression results in a scalar. This is because a vector has multiple components that can change independently, while a scalar has only one component.

3. Can the derivative of a vector expression be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a vector expression can be negative. This indicates that the vector is decreasing in magnitude in the given direction.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of the derivative of a vector expression?

The geometric interpretation of the derivative of a vector expression is the slope of the tangent line to the curve traced by the vector as it changes with respect to the given variable. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the vector at a specific point.

5. How can the derivative of a vector expression be used in physics and engineering?

The derivative of a vector expression is used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force. It is also used to analyze the behavior of systems that involve changing vectors, such as motion in a curved path or forces acting on an object in multiple directions.