Derivative of an exponential function using logarithms (lon-capa)

In summary, the derivative of y=x^(13/x^2) with respect to x is x^(13/x^2)*(13/x^3). However, this solution was deemed incorrect by the Lon-capa system. Other attempts, including using the rule d/dx = a^x*ln(a), also yielded incorrect solutions.
Nana-chan

Homework Statement

What is the derivative of y=x^(13/x^2) with respect to x?

The Attempt at a Solution

I went through multiple techniques to solve this, but all of them have failed so far ._.

In my latest attempt, I took the natural log of both sides:

lny= lnx^(13/x^2)

I then brought the exponent out of the natural log:

lny = 13/x^2*lnx = 13/x^2 * 1/x = 13/x^3

And solved for both natural logs:

1/y*dy/dx = 13/x^3

dy/dx = x^(13/x^2)*(13/x^3)

Lon-capa says this is wrong. It also says that the other method I used is wrong:

d/dx = a^x*ln(a)

x^(13/x^2)*ln(x)*(-26/x^3)

Please help me~

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is due in 25 mins so I'm shamelessly bumping it up ._.

1. What is the purpose of using logarithms to find the derivative of an exponential function?

The purpose of using logarithms to find the derivative of an exponential function is to simplify the process and make it easier to solve. By taking the logarithm of both sides, the exponential function becomes a linear function, which is easier to differentiate.

2. Can any exponential function be differentiated using logarithms?

Yes, any exponential function can be differentiated using logarithms. This method works for all exponential functions, regardless of the base.

3. How do you use logarithms to find the derivative of an exponential function?

To use logarithms to find the derivative of an exponential function, first take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. Then use logarithmic properties to simplify the resulting equation and isolate the variable. Finally, take the derivative of both sides to find the derivative of the exponential function.

4. What are the advantages of using logarithms to find the derivative of an exponential function?

Using logarithms to find the derivative of an exponential function has several advantages. It simplifies the process and makes it easier to differentiate, especially for functions with complicated exponentials. It also allows for a wider range of functions to be differentiated compared to other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using logarithms to find the derivative of an exponential function?

There are some limitations to using logarithms to find the derivative of an exponential function. This method may not work for exponential functions with complex or imaginary bases. It also may not be the most efficient method for functions with simple exponentials, as other methods may be faster and more straightforward.