1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of an inverse trig function

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]y=sec^{-1}\frac{1}{t}, 0<t<1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}sec^{-1} x= \frac{1}{\left|x\right|\cdot\sqrt{x^{2}-1}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically to simplify things I used u substitution so I let u=1/t then du/dt=-1/t2 and I got:

[tex]y=sec^{-1}u\rightarrow y^{,}=\frac{1}{\left|u\right|\cdot\sqrt{u^{2}-1}}\cdot\frac{du}{dt}[/tex]

which,when I substituted for u, I got:

[tex]=\frac{1}{\left|\frac{1}{t}\right|\cdot\sqrt{\left(\frac{1}{t}\right)^{2}-1}}\cdot\frac{-1}{t^{2}}[/tex]

which works out as:

[tex]=\frac{-1}{\left|\frac{1}{t}\right|\cdot t^{2}\cdot\sqrt{\frac{1^{2}}{t^{2}}-1}}[/tex]

and:

[tex]=\frac{-1}{t\cdot\sqrt{1-t^{2}}}[/tex]

however, the answer as per the back of the book is:

[tex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-t^{2}}}[/tex]

what did I do wrong???

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2
    The step,
    [tex]\frac{-1}{\left|\frac{1}{t}\right|\cdot t^{2}\cdot\sqrt{\frac{1^{2}}{t^{2}}-1}} = \frac{-1}{t\cdot\sqrt{1-t^{2}}}[/tex]
    is incorrect. Remember
    [tex]a\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{a^2b}[/tex]
    so you have,
    [tex]t\sqrt{1/t^2-1} = \sqrt{1-t^2}[/tex]

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    ooooooooh ok. that makes more sense. thats clever hehehe

thank you so much :smile:

5. Feb 12, 2010 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

For next time, you may remember that since [tex]\cos x = \frac{1}{\sec x}[/tex], it is true that [tex]\sec^{-1} \left(\frac{1}{x}\right) = \cos^{-1} x[/tex] and so the derivative is standard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?