1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of an Nasty Exponential Function

1. Jan 15, 2017 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is given just like this:
    ##\frac{d}{dx}(exp\int_1^x P(s)\ ds)## = ?
    I assume they want me to find the derivative of the whole thing.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm thinking the first step is:
    ##\frac{d}{dx}(exp\int_1^x P(s)\ ds) = (exp\int_1^x P(s)\ ds)(\frac{d}{dx}\int_1^x P(s)\ ds)##

Unfortunately I don't know how to deal with the derivative of the integral now since the X is one of the limits of integration and not part of the function. I'm not sure I've ever seen a problem like this before. o_O

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2017 #2

fresh_42

I've used something similar in one of @micromass ' challenges. I think it helps to write the integral according to the fundamental theorem as ##\int_1^x f = F(x) - F(1)## but I'm not sure.

4. Jan 15, 2017 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, too much of a hint will give away the answer. But to get an idea of how this works, try a couple of examples for [itex]P(s)[/itex].
    For example,
    • Try [itex]P(s) = 1[/itex]: What is [itex]\int_0^x P(s) ds[/itex]? What's its derivative?
    • Try [itex]P(s) = s[/itex]: What is [itex]\int_0^x P(s) ds[/itex]? What's its derivative?
    • Try [itex]P(s) = s^2[/itex].
    Do you see the pattern?

5. Jan 15, 2017 #4

Mark44

The first part of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus says, in essence, that ##\frac d{dx} \left(\int_a^x f(t)dt\right) = f(x)##.

6. Jan 15, 2017 #5

Mark44

I should add that things have to be exactly as I wrote them. I.e., if we're differentiating with respect to x, x has to be the upper limit of integration. Likewise, if the differentiation is with respect to, say, r, r has to be the upper limit of integration.

Also, although the integral appears to be a definite integral (which would imply that the integral represents a fixed number), it's really a function of x. Different values of x produce different values for the integral.

7. Jan 15, 2017 #6

Drakkith

Indeed. When I put those values in for P(s) it appears that the derivative to each integral is simply P(s) (or P(x) rather).

So it does. I certainly feel silly now. o:)

So that would mean that: ##\frac{d}{dx}(exp\int_1^x P(s)\ ds) = (exp\int_1^x P(s)\ ds)(\frac{d}{dx}\int_1^x P(s)\ ds) =(exp\int_1^x P(s)\ ds)P(x) ##

8. Jan 15, 2017 #7

Mark44

Looks good.

9. Jan 15, 2017 #8

Drakkith

Thanks all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted