1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of Definite Integral Conundrum

1. Sep 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The normal approach using the fundamental theorem of calculus seems inapplicable. I define a function B(R) based on a definite integral with one of the limits being R. One factor in the definite integral has R in it and that function vanishes to 0 at x = R.

Using the fundamental theorem I run into the problem that the derivative of B(R) evaluates to 0.

2. Relevant equations
    upload_2016-9-9_15-48-38.png

K is just a constant greater than R.

3. The attempt at a solution

Reversing the sign and the limits of integration is as far as I got. If I do a straight replacement of x with R, Cos-1(R/x) goes to Cos-1(1) which is zero...

I'm trying to isolate G but this has me stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try writing the two occurrences of ##R## in the formula as separate variables ##u## and ##v## and write ##B(R)## as a function of the two variables, each of which is a function of ##R##, viz: ##u(R)=V(R)=R##.

If you can do that then you can then use the total derivative formula to find ##\frac{dB}{dR}##.

4. Sep 9, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you forgotten (or perhaps, never learned) Leibniz' (Integral) Rule? See, eg.,
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeibnizIntegralRule.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted