Derivative of Dirac Delta Distribution

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative of the Dirac delta distribution is the functional that takes a test function and returns the negative of its derivative at zero. This requires the test function to be defined and differentiable at zero. The minimal requirement for a test function in this case is existence at zero.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
Hello,

I am wondering about the derivative of the Dirac delta distribution ##\delta(t)##. I know:

$$\frac{d}{dt} u(t) = \delta(t)$$

So what is ##\frac{d}{dt} \delta(t)##?

How do we take the derivative of a distribution? I've heard about distributional derivatives, but I don't think any of those theorems apply here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes jasonRF
The Dirac delta is the functional which takes a test function ##f(t)## and returns ##f(0)##. In order for this operation to be defined you need a test function which is defined at ##x=0## (ideally you also want continuity there as well).

The derivative of the Dirac delta is the functional which takes a test function ##f(t)## and returns ##-f'(0)##. This requires the test function to be differentiable at zero.

How do we take the derivative of a distribution? I've heard about distributional derivatives, but I don't think any of those theorems apply here.
The derivative of a distribution is the distributional derivative.

pwsnafu said:
The Dirac delta is the functional which takes a test function ##f(t)## and returns ##f(0)##. In order for this operation to be defined you need a test function which is defined at ##x=0## (ideally you also want continuity there as well).

The derivative of the Dirac delta is the functional which takes a test function ##f(t)## and returns ##-f'(0)##. This requires the test function to be differentiable at zero.

Aren't test functions ## C^{\infty} ## ? If 0 is outside of the support, then isn't ##f'=0 ## ?

WWGD said:
Aren't test functions ## C^{\infty} ## ?

You can define test functions however you want. For example you can define discontinuous test function spaces. In the case of Dirac the minimal requirement is existence at zero. It effectively means that the Dirac distribution reduces to the Dirac measure in this case (note that you can't take distributional derivative anymore).

Related to Derivative of Dirac Delta Distribution

What is the definition of the derivative of ##\delta(t)##?

The derivative of ##\delta(t)## is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of the Dirac delta function with respect to its argument, t. In simpler terms, it is the instantaneous slope of the function at a particular point.

How is the derivative of ##\delta(t)## calculated?

The derivative of ##\delta(t)## is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative. This involves taking the difference quotient of the function as the limit of the difference quotient goes to 0. In the case of the Dirac delta function, this results in an infinite value at t=0.

What is the physical interpretation of the derivative of ##\delta(t)##?

The physical interpretation of the derivative of ##\delta(t)## is that it represents an impulse or a spike in a system. This is because the Dirac delta function is often used to model sudden changes or impulses in physical systems, and the derivative of this function represents the instantaneous change in the system at that point.

What are some applications of the derivative of ##\delta(t)##?

The derivative of ##\delta(t)## has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in signal processing, control theory, and differential equations to model instantaneous changes or impulses. It is also used in probability and statistics to represent random variables and their probability distributions.

How does the derivative of ##\delta(t)## differ from other functions?

The derivative of ##\delta(t)## differs from other functions in several ways. Firstly, it is not a true function, but rather a distribution or generalized function. Secondly, it is not continuous and has a value of 0 everywhere except t=0, where it has an infinite value. Finally, its derivative is not defined at t=0, as it is not a differentiable function.