Derivative of f(x) = arcsin((2x/(1+x^2)) at x=1

  • Thread starter Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Messages
864
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This isn't exactly a homework question, it's more of a general one. Let's say for example that I have the function f(x) = arcsin((2x/(1+x^2)). I know that arcsin has no derivative at x=1. Does that mean that f also doesn't or to I have to check explicity with a limit? I think that I have to do a limit, is that right? Could someone elaborate on this?
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The chain rule says (f(g(x))'=f'(g(x))*g'(x). f' may not have a limit but the product may. In your specific example it does. So yes, you have to check.
 
Thanks. But you say that in this case f has a derivative at x=1? I did the limit and got infinity. Is that right?
 
What is the derivative function you got? I got

[tex] f'(x) = \frac{2-2x^2}{(1+x^2)\sqrt{1+2x^2-3x^4}}[/tex]

If that is right, then the limit x->1 is non-trivial, but I think I got, using L'Hospital's rule, that it is zero and not infinity.
 
jostpuur said:
What is the derivative function you got? I got

[tex] f'(x) = \frac{2-2x^2}{(1+x^2)\sqrt{1+2x^2-3x^4}}[/tex]

If that is right, then the limit x->1 is non-trivial, but I think I got, using L'Hospital's rule, that it is zero and not infinity.

Factoring the top and bottom of your expression also shows that the "problem" disappears.
 
jostpuur said:
What is the derivative function you got? I got

[tex] f'(x) = \frac{2-2x^2}{(1+x^2)\sqrt{1+2x^2-3x^4}}[/tex]

If that is right, then the limit x->1 is non-trivial, but I think I got, using L'Hospital's rule, that it is zero and not infinity.

I don't think that derivative is quite correct. After factoring what I get I'm just left with 2/(1+x^2).
 
Dick said:
I don't think that derivative is quite correct. After factoring what I get I'm just left with 2/(1+x^2).

Until now, I didn't actually do the derivative. I get (with a minus sign) what you have.
 
I found the mistake, I had calculated [itex]1 + 2x^2 + x^4 - 4x^2 = 1 + 2x^2 - 3x^4[/itex]

Now I got
[tex] \frac{2}{1+x^2}[/tex]
too, without minus sign though.
 
Last edited:
jostpuur said:
I found the mistake, I had calculated [itex]1 + 2x^2 + x^4 - 4x^2 = 1 + 2x^2 - 3x^4[/itex]

Now I got
[tex] \frac{2}{1+x^2}[/tex]
too, without minus sign though.

Actually, the sign is bit tricky, which I didn't see until I graphed

[tex]arcsin\left(\frac{2x}{1+x^2}\right).[/tex]

The derivative of this function has a jump discontinuity at [itex]x=1[/itex].

Hint: consider

[tex]\frac{-4}{\sqrt{\left(-4\right)^2}}.[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I didn't check the domain earlier, and though that the function would be defined on some interval around origo, but actually the expression

[tex] \frac{2x}{1+x^2}[/tex]

doesn't get any values outside [itex][-1,1][/itex]. So the function becomes defined for all real numbers.

I took a closer look at the derivative. Isn't it this?

[tex] \frac{2(1-x^2)}{|1-x^2|(1+x^2)}[/tex]

So there's plus sign when [itex]x\in ]-1,1[[/itex], minus sign when [itex]x\in ]-\infty,-1[\;\cup\; ]1,\infty[[/itex], and the derivative does not exist for [itex]x\pm 1[/itex].
 
I took the limit of [tex]\frac{arcsin\left(\frac{2(x+1)}{1+(x+1)^2}\right) - \frac{\pi}{2}}{x}.[/tex] when x goes to 0 and got
[tex] \frac{-2}{1+(x+1)^2}[/tex]
By using L'hopital. It looks like what George got except that instead of x I have x+1. What did I do wrong?
Thanks
 
That limit should not exist. However if take only left handed or right handed limit then you should get either 1 or -1. Do you know which limit you are taking?

If I got this right, then left handed limit should give 1, and right handed limit -1.

I'm not sure if there is a mistake concerning the x+1 term. You must take the limit x->0 in the end, and then you also have x+1 -> 1. You have now inserted an expression x+1 in the place of the old parameter x, so x+1 -> 1 is precisely what you are supposed to have.