Derivative of infinitesimal value

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of derivatives in relation to functions. The first part addresses the question of how to prove that the derivative is nearly zero if it is equal to zero. The second part clarifies that the result of taking the derivative of a linear function is the function itself. Finally, the conversation touches on the idea of higher derivatives and the use of infinitesimals in precise questioning.
mertcan
Hi, it may be interesting question but what is the
d (dy)/dx (y is function of x)? I think it is nearly zero but if it is 0 then how can we prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
mertcan said:
Hi, it may be interesting question but what is the
d (dy)/dx (y is function of x)? I think it is nearly zero but if it is 0 then how can we prove it?
What do you mean, resp. do you have an example? If you mean ##\dfrac{d}{dx}\dfrac{d}{dx} y(x) = \dfrac{d^2 y(x)}{dx^2}## then it is simply the second derivative, the curvature. If you mean ##\dfrac{d}{dx} dy## then ##dy## is a linear function and ##\dfrac{d}{dx} dy = dy##.

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean, resp. do you have an example? If you mean ##\dfrac{d}{dx}\dfrac{d}{dx} y(x) = \dfrac{d^2 y(x)}{dx^2}## then it is simply the second derivative, the curvature. If you mean ##\dfrac{d}{dx} dy## then ##dy## is a linear function and ##\dfrac{d}{dx} dy = dy##.
I mean the second one but why the result is dy?

mertcan said:
I mean the second one but why the result is dy?
Because the tangent of a tangent is the tangent again.

mertcan said:
I think it is nearly zero but if it is 0 then how can we prove it?

If you are taking about higher derivatives they need not be functions that are indentically zero. For example let ##y = x^3## and interpret d ( dy/dx) /dx to be the second derivative of ##f(x)##.

I you are reasoning with "infinitesimals", then it will be difficult to ask a precise questions. ( Intuitively, all "infinitesimals" are nearly zero !)

If are using differential notation like "dy" to denote the sophisticated idea of a mapping in differential geometry then @fresh_42 has answered your question.

1. What is the definition of a derivative of infinitesimal value?

The derivative of infinitesimal value is a mathematical concept used to describe the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the limit of the ratio of the change in the function's output to the change in its input, as the change in input approaches zero.

2. How is the derivative of infinitesimal value calculated?

The derivative of infinitesimal value can be calculated using the limit definition, which involves finding the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph. It can also be calculated using algebraic rules and formulas for different types of functions.

3. What is the significance of the derivative of infinitesimal value?

The derivative of infinitesimal value has many important applications in mathematics and science. It is used to solve optimization problems, model rates of change in physical systems, and analyze the behavior of functions and their graphs.

4. Can the derivative of infinitesimal value be negative?

Yes, the derivative of infinitesimal value can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, and the slope of its tangent line is negative. Similarly, a positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing at that point.

5. How is the derivative of infinitesimal value related to the concept of limits?

The derivative of infinitesimal value is closely related to the concept of limits. In fact, the limit definition of the derivative is based on taking the limit as the change in input approaches zero. Additionally, the derivative is used to find the slope of the tangent line, which is the limit of the slopes of secant lines as they become closer and closer to the tangent line.