Derivative of Integral = Integral of Derivative

In summary: So I need to find a way to bound the entire expression.In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the relationship between the derivative of a function and its integral, using the Lebesgue convergence theorem. A sequence (h_n) is proposed and the use of the dominated convergence theorem is suggested to prove its point-wise boundedness.
e(ho0n3

Homework Statement

Let f : [0,1] x [0,1] -> R be a bounded function such that for each fixed y, the function g given by g(x) = f(x,y) is measurable. Suppose [itex]\partial f / \partial y[/itex] exists and is bounded. Prove that

[tex]\frac{d}{dy} \int_0^1 f(x,y) \, dx = \int_0^1 \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \, dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

This is from the chapter discussing the Lebesgue convergence theorem: Let g be an integrable function (integrable meaning the Lebesgue integral is finite) over E and let (fn) be a sequence of measurable functions that converge almost everywhere to f and |fn| < g. Then

[tex]\int_E f = \lim \int_E f_n[/tex]

Corollary: Let (gn) be a seq. of integrable functions which converge a.e. to an integrable function g. Let (fn) be a seq. of measurable functions such that [itex]|f_n| \le g_n[/itex] and [itex]f_n \to f[/itex] a.e. If [itex]\int g = \lim \int g_n[/itex], then [itex]\int f = \lim \int f_n[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I need a sequence [itex](h_n)[/itex] such that [itex]h_n \to \partial f / \partial y[/itex] and such that [itex]\lim \int h_n = d/dt \int_0^1 f(x,y) \, dx[/itex]. I have no idea about the former. For the latter, since the derivative is a limit, I figure that we can use

[tex]h_n(y) = \int_0^1 \frac{f(x, y+a_n) - f(x,y)}{a_n} \, dx[/tex]

where [itex](a_n)[/itex] is any sequence that converges to 0. I can't think of anything else at the moment. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track...hit this with the dominated convergence theorem!

To use dominated convergence, I need to prove that [itex](h_n)[/itex] is point-wise bounded. Since f is a bounded function, [itex]f(x,y + a_n) - f(x,y)[/itex] is bounded. The problem is the [itex]1/a_n[/itex] factor of [itex]h_n[/itex], which is unbounded.

1. What is the derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral is the original function that was integrated. In other words, if we have a function f(x) and we integrate it to get F(x), then the derivative of F(x) will be f(x).

2. Can we always use the rule "Derivative of Integral = Integral of Derivative"?

No, this rule only applies when the function being integrated is continuous and the limits of integration are fixed. If these conditions are not met, then the rule may not hold.

3. How can we prove the rule "Derivative of Integral = Integral of Derivative"?

This rule can be proven using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is the original function. By applying this theorem, we can see that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integral of the derivative.

4. What is the significance of the rule "Derivative of Integral = Integral of Derivative"?

This rule is significant because it allows us to simplify complex integrals and derivatives by using the opposite operation. It also helps to connect the concepts of differentiation and integration, which are fundamental in calculus.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule "Derivative of Integral = Integral of Derivative"?

Yes, there are some cases where this rule may not hold. For example, if the function being integrated is not continuous or the limits of integration are not fixed, then the rule may not apply. Additionally, if the function being integrated has a singularity or a point of discontinuity, then the rule may not hold.