1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of Integral = Integral of Derivative

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f : [0,1] x [0,1] -> R be a bounded function such that for each fixed y, the function g given by g(x) = f(x,y) is measurable. Suppose [itex]\partial f / \partial y[/itex] exists and is bounded. Prove that

[tex]\frac{d}{dy} \int_0^1 f(x,y) \, dx = \int_0^1 \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \, dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    This is from the chapter discussing the Lebesgue convergence theorem: Let g be an integrable function (integrable meaning the Lebesgue integral is finite) over E and let (fn) be a sequence of measurable functions that converge almost everywhere to f and |fn| < g. Then

[tex]\int_E f = \lim \int_E f_n[/tex]

Corollary: Let (gn) be a seq. of integrable functions which converge a.e. to an integrable function g. Let (fn) be a seq. of measurable functions such that [itex]|f_n| \le g_n[/itex] and [itex]f_n \to f[/itex] a.e. If [itex]\int g = \lim \int g_n[/itex], then [itex]\int f = \lim \int f_n[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need a sequence [itex](h_n)[/itex] such that [itex]h_n \to \partial f / \partial y[/itex] and such that [itex]\lim \int h_n = d/dt \int_0^1 f(x,y) \, dx[/itex]. I have no idea about the former. For the latter, since the derivative is a limit, I figure that we can use

[tex]h_n(y) = \int_0^1 \frac{f(x, y+a_n) - f(x,y)}{a_n} \, dx[/tex]

where [itex](a_n)[/itex] is any sequence that converges to 0. I can't think of anything else at the moment. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2
    You're on the right track...hit this with the dominated convergence theorem!

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3
    To use dominated convergence, I need to prove that [itex](h_n)[/itex] is point-wise bounded. Since f is a bounded function, [itex]f(x,y + a_n) - f(x,y)[/itex] is bounded. The problem is the [itex]1/a_n[/itex] factor of [itex]h_n[/itex], which is unbounded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook