1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of Inverse Function

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose ##f(x) = x^5 + 2x + 1## and ##f^{-1}## is the inverse of function f. Evaluate ##f^{-1}(4)##

solution: 1/7

2. Relevant equations
    ##(f^{-1}(x))=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to use my calculator's solve function to get the solution of ##4 = 5x^4 + 2##, so the value of x when the derivative is equal to 4. I then took the inverse of this. Sort of still grasping in the dark right now tho.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2017 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your problem statement says you have to:
    Note: ##f^{-1}(f(x))=x \implies f^{-1}(4) = x:f(x)=4##
    Why were you computing a derivative?

4. Feb 16, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's something fishy in the combination problem statement ##\leftrightarrow ## solution 1/7 . James ?

5. Feb 16, 2017 #4
    My mistake guys,

The problem statement asks for ##(f^{-1})^{'}(4)##

6. Feb 16, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The relevant equation you posted is not that useful, as it involves ##f'##. You need something similar involving ##(f^{-1})'##.

7. Feb 16, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you don't want to solve for 'derivative = 4' but you want to evaluate the derivative at the point where the function value is 4 !

[edit] perok: he had a ##\ ## ' ##\ ## missing in
    ##(f^{-1}(x))=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}## ; should've been $$
    (f^{-1}(x))'=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}$$

8. Feb 16, 2017 #7
    Hmmm. ##f^{'} = 5x^4+2## and ##f^{'}(4)= 1282##

So I have the derivative of of the function itself at a certain x value. But I'm not sure how I can translate that into finding the derivative of the inverse at the same x value.

9. Feb 16, 2017 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Again: you don't want to evaluate the derivative at the point x = 4 but at the point f-1(4)

10. Feb 16, 2017 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you understand the relationship $$
    (f^{-1}(x))'=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}\ \ \rm ?$$

11. Feb 16, 2017 #10
    I understand this relationship, but I do not know how I can evaluate ##f^{'}(4)## since I can't figure out how to get the inverse of the original function. Plugging in for ##y=x^5 + 2x + 1##, I can't figure out how I would be able to solve for x in terms of y.

12. Feb 16, 2017 #11

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could always just take a guess!

13. Feb 16, 2017 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try a few numbers, or do bisection ( f(0) = 1, f(2) >> 4 so...)

And again (again) :
    You don't want that. You want ##f'(f^{-1}(4))## !

14. Feb 16, 2017 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Plot the graph of ##y = x^5+2x+1## over some modest ##x##-range; that will give you a good feeling for approximately where you have the solution of ##f(x)=4.## Alternately you can try using the "rational root theorem" on the equation ##x^5 + 2x - 3 = 0.## (Once you get the solution you will wonder why you did not see it right away!)

15. Feb 17, 2017 #14
    Thanks guys, I guess I just really needed to sleep on it, judging by my sloppiness. Coming back today, I can see where you all were going:

##(f^{-1}(x))^{'} = \frac{1}{f^{'}(f^{-1}(x))}##

First thing, we solve the interior function on the RHS, or ##4 = x^5 + 2x +1##. I used the numerical solver on the calculator, but I see now that 1 could be obvious if you take a step back for a second. After that, we're no longer working with inverses, the derivative function ##f^{'}(x) = 5x^4 + 2## taken at x = 1. One over that and boom.

Thanks again for your patience.

16. Feb 18, 2017 #15

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Important learning experience: brains are a lot like muscles, they need to recover from time to time or else things go sour. Sometimes dropping your pencil and doing some R&R is the quickest way to achieve some progress when stuck with a problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted