Derivative of Inverse Function

Homework Statement

Suppose ##f(x) = x^5 + 2x + 1## and ##f^{-1}## is the inverse of function f. Evaluate ##f^{-1}(4)##

solution: 1/7

Homework Equations

##(f^{-1}(x))=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use my calculator's solve function to get the solution of ##4 = 5x^4 + 2##, so the value of x when the derivative is equal to 4. I then took the inverse of this. Sort of still grasping in the dark right now tho.

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Your problem statement says you have to:
... Evaluate ##f^{-1}(4)##
Note: ##f^{-1}(f(x))=x \implies f^{-1}(4) = x:f(x)=4##
Why were you computing a derivative?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There's something fishy in the combination problem statement ##\leftrightarrow ## solution 1/7 . James ?

My mistake guys,

The problem statement asks for ##(f^{-1})^{'}(4)##

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
My mistake guys,

The problem statement asks for ##(f^{-1})^{'}(4)##

The relevant equation you posted is not that useful, as it involves ##f'##. You need something similar involving ##(f^{-1})'##.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So you don't want to solve for 'derivative = 4' but you want to evaluate the derivative at the point where the function value is 4 !

[edit] perok: he had a ##\ ## ' ##\ ## missing in
##(f^{-1}(x))=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}## ; should've been $$
(f^{-1}(x))'=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}$$

Hmmm. ##f^{'} = 5x^4+2## and ##f^{'}(4)= 1282##

So I have the derivative of of the function itself at a certain x value. But I'm not sure how I can translate that into finding the derivative of the inverse at the same x value.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Again: you don't want to evaluate the derivative at the point x = 4 but at the point f-1(4)

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Do you understand the relationship $$
(f^{-1}(x))'=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}\ \ \rm ?$$

I understand this relationship, but I do not know how I can evaluate ##f^{'}(4)## since I can't figure out how to get the inverse of the original function. Plugging in for ##y=x^5 + 2x + 1##, I can't figure out how I would be able to solve for x in terms of y.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I understand this relationship, but I do not know how I can evaluate ##f^{'}(4)## since I can't figure out how to get the inverse of the original function. Plugging in for ##y=x^5 + 2x + 1##, I can't figure out how I would be able to solve for x in terms of y.

You could always just take a guess!

Likes James Brady
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Try a few numbers, or do bisection ( f(0) = 1, f(2) >> 4 so...)

And again (again) :
but I do not know how I can evaluate f′(4)
You don't want that. You want ##f'(f^{-1}(4))## !

Likes James Brady
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Plot the graph of ##y = x^5+2x+1## over some modest ##x##-range; that will give you a good feeling for approximately where you have the solution of ##f(x)=4.## Alternately you can try using the "rational root theorem" on the equation ##x^5 + 2x - 3 = 0.## (Once you get the solution you will wonder why you did not see it right away!)

Likes James Brady
You don't want that. You want f′(f−1(4))f'(f^{-1}(4)) !

Thanks guys, I guess I just really needed to sleep on it, judging by my sloppiness. Coming back today, I can see where you all were going:

##(f^{-1}(x))^{'} = \frac{1}{f^{'}(f^{-1}(x))}##

First thing, we solve the interior function on the RHS, or ##4 = x^5 + 2x +1##. I used the numerical solver on the calculator, but I see now that 1 could be obvious if you take a step back for a second. After that, we're no longer working with inverses, the derivative function ##f^{'}(x) = 5x^4 + 2## taken at x = 1. One over that and boom.

Thanks again for your patience.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I guess I just really needed to sleep on it
Important learning experience: brains are a lot like muscles, they need to recover from time to time or else things go sour. Sometimes dropping your pencil and doing some R&R is the quickest way to achieve some progress when stuck with a problem.