Derivative of Magnetic Field from a dipole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
mbq
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I need to take the derivative of the magnetic field from a magnetic dipole with respect to r for a project I'm working on:

B =[m[/0]/(4π) * (3rhat(μ dot rhat) - μ)/|r|^3

where rhat is the unit vector of the vector r (or r/|r|), |r| is the magnitude of the vector r, and μ is the magnetic moment of the dipole

I'm mainly confused about how to take the derivative of rhat with respect to r

Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mbq! welcome to pf! :smile:
mbq said:
I'm mainly confused about how to take the derivative of rhat with respect to r

write ##\hat{r}## = (x/r, y/r, z/r) :wink: