Derivative of metric tesor and its trace

In summary, the identities \partial_{\mu}(-g)=(-g)g^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\mu}g_{\alpha\beta} and \partial_{\mu}g^{\alpha\beta}=-g^{\alpha\lambda}g^{\beta\rho}\partial_{\mu}g_{\lambda\rho} are true and can be proven using Jacobi's formula, as explained in the provided links. The first identity involves the derivative of the metric tensor and its determinant, while the second one has already been proven.
vaibhavtewari
I would like to ask, how these identities are true

[tex]\partial_{\mu}(-g)=(-g)g^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\mu}g_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]

and

[tex]\partial_{\mu}g^{\alpha\beta}=-g^{\alpha\lambda}g^{\beta\rho}\partial_{\mu}g_{\lambda\rho}[/tex]

Sorry I meant" derivative of metric tensor and its determinant", I was able to prove the second identity, please help me with the first one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for late reply...the link you provided is very much helpful...thankyou very much for your help.

What is a derivative of metric tensor?

A derivative of metric tensor is a mathematical operation that measures how a metric tensor changes with respect to some other variable. It is often used in differential geometry to study the curvature of space.

How is the derivative of metric tensor calculated?

The derivative of metric tensor is calculated using the concept of covariant differentiation, which takes into account the changes in basis vectors and components of the tensor. It involves taking partial derivatives of the metric tensor components with respect to the coordinate variables.

What is the importance of calculating the derivative of metric tensor?

The derivative of metric tensor is important because it allows us to study the curvature of space and make predictions about how particles and objects will move in this space. It also helps us understand the structure of spacetime in general relativity.

What is the trace of a metric tensor?

The trace of a metric tensor is a scalar quantity that represents the sum of the diagonal elements of the tensor. It is often used to calculate the volume and distance in a curved space.

How is the trace of a metric tensor related to the curvature of space?

The trace of a metric tensor is directly related to the curvature of space. In a flat space, the trace is equal to the dimension of the space (e.g. 3 for 3-dimensional space). In a curved space, the trace will deviate from this value, indicating the presence of curvature.