Derivative of sin(t/√(t+1)): Calculating with Chain Rule

  • Thread starter Thread starter Youngster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Youngster
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the derivative of the function: q = sin ([itex]\frac{t}{\sqrt{t+1}}[/itex])

Answer: cos ([itex]\frac{t}{\sqrt{t+1}}[/itex]) ([itex]\frac{t+2}{2(t+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/itex])

Homework Equations



Chain Rule
[itex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/itex] sin x = cos x

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/itex] = cos ([itex]\frac{t}{\sqrt{t+1}}[/itex]) [itex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/itex] (t(t+1))[itex]^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] = cos ([itex]\frac{t}{\sqrt{t+1}}[/itex]) (t(-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](t+1)[itex]^{-\frac{3}{2}}[/itex] + 1(t+1)[itex]^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex])

So that's as far as I've gotten with this problem. I unfortunately don't know how to continue with it though. Does simplifying the derivative of (t(t+1))[itex]^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] lead me to the answer provided? Or did I derive something wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you're right simplification will lead you to the right answer.

so you have

-t/(2(t+1)^(3/2)) + 1/(t+1)^(1/2)

so the common denominator is 2(t+1)^(3/2) so multiply the top and bottom of the second expression by 2(t+1)

so you have

-t/(2(t+1)^(3/2)) + 2(t+1)/(2(t+1)^(3/2))

add them now

2t+2-t/(2(t+1)^(3/2))

t+2/(2(t+1)^(3/2))
 
Ah thank you! I've figured it out now and learned a new thing about exponents.