Derivative of tan(2x) at pi/6 without a calculator

  • Thread starter Thread starter SAT2400
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
SAT2400
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If f(x)= tan(2x), then f'(pi/6) =

Homework Equations



deriv. of tan(pi/3)

The Attempt at a Solution



How can I solve this? I am not supposed to use a calculator?? tan(pi/3) ...am I supposed to memorize this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
And now how can you simplify that using the definition of sec?
 
SAT2400 said:

Homework Statement



If f(x)= tan(2x), then f'(pi/6) =

Homework Equations



deriv. of tan(pi/3)
The derivative of tan(pi/3) is zero. tan(pi/3) is a constant, and the derivative of any constant is zero.
SAT2400 said:

The Attempt at a Solution



How can I solve this? I am not supposed to use a calculator?? tan(pi/3) ...am I supposed to memorize this?
Yes. There are a few angles whose trig functions you should have memorized - 0, pi/6, pi/4, pi/3, pi/2, as well as their supplements and combinations with pi/2, pi, and so on. You should also have memorized all of the six trig functions in terms of the sine or cosine.
 
jav said:
And now how can you simplify that using the definition of sec?

Can you write sec x in terms of sine and/or cosine? You should have memorized the values of sin(pi/3) and cos(pi/3)