Derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silversonic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative Inverse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
Silversonic
Messages
121
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Find the derivative of the compositional inverse of [itex]f(x) = sin(1/x)[/itex] restricted to (1,∞). You may use without proof that sin(x) is differentiable with derivative cos(x).

Homework Equations



[itex](f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(y_0))}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



The compositional inverse of [itex]f(x) = sin(1/x)[/itex] is [itex]f^{-1}(y_0) = \frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)}[/itex].

Plugging that into the equation gives;

[itex](f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{1}{f'(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})} = \frac{1}{sin'(arcsin(y_0))} = \frac{1}{sin'(1/x)} = \frac{1}{(-1/x^2)cos(1/x)} = \frac{-x^2}{cos(1/x)}[/itex]

And by putting back in

[itex]x = \frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)}[/itex]

[itex](f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{-(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})^2}{cos(arcsin(y_0))} = - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y_0^2}arcsin^2(y_0)}[/itex]



However, I'm told that the answer is;

[itex]\frac {1}{cos(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})}[/itex]



For the life me, I can't see to get the answer given? Even wolfram alpha confirms that what I have it correct.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+of+1/arcsin(y)

Are we both correct? Because I can't see to show they are both equal to each other.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Silversonic said:

Homework Statement



Find the derivative of the compositional inverse of [itex]f(x) = sin(1/x)[/itex] restricted to (1,∞). You may use without proof that sin(x) is differentiable with derivative cos(x).

Homework Equations



[itex](f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(y_0))}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



The compositional inverse of [itex]f(x) = sin(1/x)[/itex] is [itex]f^{-1}(y_0) = \frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)}[/itex].

Plugging that into the equation gives;

[itex](f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{1}{f'(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})} = \frac{1}{sin'(arcsin(y_0))} = \frac{1}{sin'(1/x)} = \frac{1}{(-1/x^2)cos(1/x)} = \frac{-x^2}{cos(1/x)}[/itex]

And by putting back in

[itex]x = \frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle (f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{-(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})^2}{cos(arcsin(y_0))} = - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y_0^2}arcsin^2(y_0)}[/itex]

However, I'm told that the answer is;

[itex]\displaystyle\frac {1}{cos(\displaystyle\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})}[/itex]

For the life me, I can't see to get the answer given? Even wolfram alpha confirms that what I have it correct.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+of+1/arcsin(y)

Are we both correct? Because I can't see to show they are both equal to each other.
I get the same result you get.