Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of the metric tensor

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    Could anybody help to spot the inconsistency in the following reasoning?

When calculating the normal derivative of the metric tensor I get:

[tex] \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma} = g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + 2 \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}, [/tex] (1)

which means that:

[tex] g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} = -\partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}. [/tex] (2)

And I don't see how this could be.

That's how I get this result:

[tex]
    \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma} =
    \partial_\mu (g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} g_{\lambda \gamma}) =
    g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + g^{\rho \lambda} g_{\lambda \gamma} \partial_\mu g^{\sigma \gamma} + g_{\lambda \gamma} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g^{\rho \lambda} =
    g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + \delta^\rho_\gamma \partial_\mu g^{\sigma \gamma} + \delta^\sigma_\lambda \partial_\mu g^{\rho \lambda} =
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + 2 \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}.
    [/tex] (3)

Could anybody show how to get directly the right hand side of equation (2) from the left hand side, or show where the mistake in the equation (3) is?

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2
    Unless I've misunderstood something terribly obvious, it's trivial to get what you want. We know that

[tex]\partial_cg^{ab} = g^{ad}g^{be}\partial_cg_{de} + 2\partial_cg^{ab}[/tex]

Agreed? Now subtract [itex]2\partial_cg^{ab}[/itex] from both sides and you get

[tex]g^{ad}g^{be}\partial_cg_{de} = \partial_cg^{ab} - 2\partial_cg^{ab} = -\partial_cg^{ab}[/tex]

which is what you're looking for.

4. Mar 10, 2008 #3

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  5. Mar 12, 2008 #4
    Thank you shoehorn and samalkhaiat for your replies, it helped a lot. Especially samalkhaiat. That's what I needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?