1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative Question- Chain Rule

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The derivative of the function
    h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2)

2. Relevant equations

Chain Rule

3. The attempt at a solution

h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2)

f(u) = sinu^2, f'(u)= 2ucosu^2
    g(x) = x^2+1 g(x)= 2x

I get lost putting this back together but:

2(sinu^2)[cos(sinu^2)^2](2x) ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2
    Are you trying to differentiate h(x) = sin [(x2 + 1)2] ? I'm currently having a hard time following your procedure (with the switching around of the h's and f's and u's and g's).

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. May 16, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This apparently is h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2).
    My guess is that your are looking at a formula for the chain rule as h(x) = f(g(x)).
    In your problem, f(u) = sin(u), not sin2(u), so f'(u) = cos(u).

g(x) = ((x2 + 1)2), so g'(x) = ??

5. May 17, 2010 #4
    Sorry, I was a bit out of it last night.

h(x) = sin(x^2+1)^2

I have been taught to break this into f(u) and g(x) to apply chain rule

So:

f(u) = sin(u) f'(u)=cos(u)
    g(x) = (x^2+1)^2 g'(x) = 4x(x^2+1)

h'(x) = cos((x^2+1)^2)4x(x^2+1)

6. May 17, 2010 #5
    Yep that seems right.

Just another note, I understand what you're doing, but I think if you end up confusing yourself by changing variables then it might not be worth it. I always thought of the chain rule as "Derivative of the outside function * derivative of inside function."

7. May 17, 2010 #6
    I conceptually could not grasp the chain rule last night. Today it "clicked" when I thought about it in those terms.

8. May 18, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Part of the difficulty with this problem, from our side, was trying to understand what the function was.

In your first post, you had h(x) = sin((x2 + 1)2).

Later, you wrote this as h(x) = sin(x^2+1)^2. This is still somewhat ambiguous, as it is not clear exactly what is being squared. From you derivative, it seems to be this:
    h(x) = sin((x^2+1)^2).

In the latter form it is clear that x --> x^2 + 1 --> (x^2 + 1)^2 --> sin((x^2 + 1)^2).

Part of being able to get help in this or other forums or other resources is being able to write your question clearly and unambiguously.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook